twenty

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

I never liked to lose an easy fight.

I mean, let's be honest, who did?

But today I had recognized a feeling that I hadn't in a year—I was on the bench while another quarterback ran the show.

Fuck you, Mitchell Hudson.

I mean this was embarrassing, more embarrassing than me being taken out a game on a stretcher from last season. I mean, nobody wants to sit out at their own game. As Coach Webber said, I was the team.

That meant that I should've been on the field calling those damn plays.

I should've been sweating on that damn field with my brothers but instead, I stood from the sidelines watching. I wasn't even dressed—I was wearing the fucking football warm-ups. I had never worn the damn things to a game in my life.

Was I comfortable in sweatpants and a hoodie?

Fuck yeah, but I wanted to wear my uniform.

We lost the game.

Not a shock because Mitchell was indeed playing my position. Had he done it before? Yes. But he was irresponsible. He partied way too hard last night. Did Coach know about the game? That's one thing I don't know.

He wasn't particularly mad today. I mean, he was still the normal coach. The one where after every play, he shoved another stick of bubble gum into his mouth to conceal his screaming.

As soon as the final whistle blew, I took my ass immediately into the locker room. I was not going to be caught in the media storm that "Buddy Webber's Penn State Football Team Finally Lost", I couldn't hear it.

Because I knew they would lose without me.

I don't want to blame myself because Coach was the one who pulled e out, but I was more than capable of playing the game that I had been since I was younger. A little pain in my rotator cuff was not going to hurt anything except me mentally.

From the day that I discovered my love for football, it was: eat, sleep, breathe, football, and repat.

To throw me off of that schedule, you were asking for trouble. You were asking for a bomb to explode in your face. Now, I wasn't going to literally explode. But I knew coach was going to on Mitch.