sixty-one

Reese Joseph

Reese Joseph

Talking to him was like talking to an obnoxious brick wall with an ego the size of the largest book on Ellie Webber's bookshelf.

Before I returned to the hospital, I showered and changed. I didn't want to spend too much time away from the hospital simply because of the fact that I knew that it was killing Ellie on the inside ten times more than she let out on the outside.

It was killing us all watching Mitch nearly die– and hopefully, it would stay in the 'nearly' position and nothing would change.

The thing that I loved about football the most was the way that you were all a part of an equal contribution to the team. I have always said that I have more love for Penn State than anyone else in my friend group– and it was the god honest truth.

I would do anything for that Penn State football team except lose her.

And I know losing her would mean her losing him.

In some fucked up way it was like she had manifested herself in some weird Twilight moment where I was Edward and Mitch was Jacob and Ellie was Bella– it was a whole mess. No, it was not a love triangle. But they just had this weird bond that couldn't be broken and I had zero clue or inhibition as to what linked them two together.

It wasn't sex becuase they never had it– she had only ever been with me.

I was going into the fire for football and for Ellie. The boys followed me into the fire resulting in all of us getting some degree of burn, but it was going to be okay. He didn't deserve to be burnt to a crisp and she didn't deserve to lose her best friend.

Her was now my girlfriend.

She was now my girlfriend.

She had just nodded to my question and damnit– of course, Mitchell still had a way of cock blocking me. At the end of the day, I knew that he would be okay. And if he wasn't, I hoped that he knew that I would be her best friend like he was to her.

I would be a better friend to him than he had been to me because Ellie Webber deserved for once someone in her life to just stay in a way that would make her want to live. She deserved to have someone make her feel like she could open her mouth and take in the deep gulps of air that she desperately deserved.