fifty-eight

Hey besties! I caution you with reading this chapter. It is short, simple, straight, and to the point. If you can not handle gore, do not read.

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

    I remember when I opened the letter in the mail with my grandparents. The letter was filled to the brim with blue and white confetti, an acceptance letter to Penn State. I didn't even apply here– they applied for me.

But I remember how proud they were of me.

I remember grandpa and grandma wrapping me in their arms hugging me, telling me it was going to be the best four years of my life. I remember my grandparents having the same reaction whenever Penn got his acceptance letter in the mail too. Of course, both of us were handed the acceptance letters due to grandpa.

Most kids would have loved the chance to receive a college acceptance letter without even a blink, but I had hated it.

I remember the first time I stepped foot on the campus the day after being accepted. The letter said I was accepted. My grandparents accepted the fact that I was accepted. Penn was excited that we were both accepted.

But I was the last person to accept the fact that I would be going here.

Penn State University.

One of the top universities in the world– it had the largest group of alumni worldwide. Wherever you went someone knew about the blue and white. It wasn't a hard university to get accepted into. But it wasn't the easiest either.

Penn State athletics were world-renowned and they made athletes come to life. Some of the biggest names in sports come from Penn State. I know that was what my family had always wished of me– to be a part of a sports program.

But instead, I was the twin that ended up with two left feet and more allergies than one could count. Not to mention the fact that I hadn't worn contacts until I started college. Sports and I were like Cinderella and her ugly stepsisters– we didn't match.

I remember when I wandered all over the campus for orientation while my brother was at his freshman initiation Bootcamp. I remember the night before grandpa stayed up all night going over plays with Penn that way he wouldn't fuck up or embarrass him.

Penn was of course taking in every single word that was muttered to him like the human thesaurus he was. "You and Mitchell Hudson are the future of this football team," I remember hearing the name Mitchell and searching him up on Instagram.

Of course, he was beautiful. And of course, he had already posted pictures with my brother– my brother's best friend. He came from some snooty catholic school where everyone looked like they smoked weed in the bathroom in between classes for fun.

I remember the morning of the Bootcamp whenever I tripped over five football bags in my living room as I chased grandma around the house to put in my contacts. I wanted the contacts– I wanted to stand out and be different for my orientation.