forty-six

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

I had always looked at him like the way he looked at everyone else around me.

I had shown up to the party early. I had shown up before anyone had actually got here, well correction– I refused to get a fake ID so I couldn't get access into McCuthcins so Finn and Sloane went without me. That was not a huge deal because I was comfortable at my brother's house.

However, my brother was everything but comfortable with me being in a room with college men, specfically college football players and frat brothers that only wanted one thing. I mean, he knew how he himself and his friends were.

"Here- drink this." He shoved a cup forward. I looked into it, seeing the colored liquid move around. Raising an eyebrow, I brought the cup towards my mouth, sniffing it.

Soda. A Coke Slushee.

"Penn, come on! You're probably six beers in!" I whined. He smiled down at me before patting my head. "My house, my rules, Ellie." He sang his obnoxious punch line to me.

"Right and my foot up your ass!" I patted him on the chest before hopping off the barstool I was sitting on. The house was getting quite crowded. I had never been to parties before.

Truthfully.

In high school, I wasn't opposed to them. I just was never invited.

It was always my brother.

Of course, if it was someone who had been mean to me he wouldn't go. But his football friends would always throw parties. He was the prom king, he was the homecoming king, he was the class president, and he was the valedictorian.

He was the golden child that every parent dreamed of.

Hell, even six feet under our parents still probably adored him over me.

I needed a mixer, I wanted to drink. How do these parties work? Do I just walk up to someone and ask for a drink? Who is in charge of the drinks here? Do we bring our own? Do we have a stash here?