42. Mrs Wilson

Robin's POV

Robin wondered where Peter could've gone. Maybe he was having a good conversation with some colleague or student, but it had been over an hour now and he still wasn't back.

He was about to start preparing dinner when his phone rang. It was Peter. 'Hey, I'm coming home soon,' he said. 'But have you started cooking yet? I'm taking a guest.'

______________________________________

When he heard the keys being turned in the door, Robin was rather curious so he walked to the door to see who the guest was, following David and Felicia who were running since they also wanted to know.

 'Granny!' he heard Felicia say. Oh, did Peter take Mrs Robinson? Robin couldn't help but smile as he walked in the hall, but he was in for a surprise.

It was not Mrs Robinson, but a woman with blonde hair which was turning grey, and except for her eyes, the resemblance with the few photos of Leah he had seen was striking.

'Nice to meet you, Mrs Wilson,' he greeted her, smiling politely. 'I'm Robin Peterson, the kids' nanny.'

She simply cocked a brow at him and eyed him up and down, especially his apron. Then, she turned to Peter. 'So, I see you've built a new happy family already.'

'No, it's not like that, ma'am,' Robin protested. 'I'm simply the nanny.'

She blatantly ignored him. Peter made eye contact with him and shook his head quietly.

Robin nodded. He quickly stepped back and said: 'Anyway, would you like a cup of coffee? Tea?'

'No, thank you,' she said, still refusing to look at him.

______________________________________

Dinner was tense. Fortunately Felicia and David did not really sense it. Felicia was really happy to see her grandma again after roughly a year and David had no idea who this lady was, but he rolled along with it anyway, happily, just the way he was.

With the kids, Mrs Wilson was really loving and warm, but her stare at Peter was cold and she treated Robin as if he were air. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.

Robin was not sure why she was so cold towards Peter as well. Sure, he had apparently never visited her in the past year, but Robin was sure he must have had a reason for it.

It was nervewrecking at the dinner table, and after they finished, when he went to wash the dishes, his hands were so shaky he accidentally dropped a plate. It shattered in multiple pieces and he heard Mrs Wilson click her tongue in disapproval behind his back before she walked to the living room. Meanwhile, Peter rushed over to help him, collecting the bigger shards. 'I'm so sorry,' he whispered to Robin. 'I had no idea she would be like this. Please don't feel too bad about it, I'll have her leave soon. Can you endure it a little longer?'

Robin nodded.

Peter smiled apologetically and squeezed Robin's shoulder before getting up to drop the shards in the trash.

_________________________________________

Mrs Wilson did not leave soon. When Robin came back from putting David to bed -which had been quite a struggle since his mood had turned and he started crying when Robin was leaving, so Robin stayed with him until he fell asleep- she was still on the couch, listening to Felicia who was reading a book to her. 'She's just as smart as my daughter used to be,' she said as Robin came into the room, stressing "my daughter".

'She is indeed really smart for her age,' he agreed. 'She continues to surprise me.'

'I don't recall asking for your opinion,' she said sharply, and Robin shut up at once, but for Peter, it was the last straw. 'Please keep Robin out of it, mother,' he said. 'He doesn't deserve to be treated like this, he didn't do anything wrong, so please confront me and not him.'

'Yes granny, why are you so harsh to Robin?' Felicia asked, pouting. 'I really like him, you know?'

Mrs Wilson sighed. 'You see, I see my son-in-law again after my daughter passed away. He didn't even visit me once and hasn't kept her grave clean either, only brought flowers once or twice. And here he is, living a happy life with his nanny and kids as if Leah never existed. Are you trying to forget Leah by replacing her with some male nanny who obviously has feelings for you? I won't let it happen!'

Feelings... for Peter? Robin was about to deny it, but Peter shook his head. 'I understand your point, mother, and I am sorry for my absence in the past year, but that is still not Robin's fault. He was unaware of the situation, and though I did feel like I was using him to forget about Leah at first, it is thanks to him that I finally mustered up the courage to face reality and visit her grave again. Yes, you're right, Robin is not just a nanny, he's like family to us. Felicia had trouble expressing her feelings after Leah passed away, but Robin has tought her so much and she has opened up again. David used to cry all the time, but when Robin is here, he feels safe. And I... he has changed my life in so many ways. He gave me courage to stop running from the past and facing it instead. He was the one there for me when I needed someone by my side and I have made some of my happiest memories in the past year with him. He is not a replacement of Leah. He is a miracle that happened to us. My life was a mess, but he picked up the pieces and put me back together again. So please apologize to him right now.'

____________________________________

Poor Robin, but tbh i would simply pass away if someone said such sweet words about me😅

My latest obsession: major songs in minor key. Not something you should miss out on, to be honest. Adds so much tragedy omg