Chapter 42: Wind Of Change

-

"Home sweet home." I chirped.

She observed the old-fashioned decorations on the wall and slowly nodded her head. I closed the door behind us then ushered her into the living room.

"You hungry?"

"No- why are we here again?"

"Well after the whole fiesta your crib was totalled so I'd figured you might needed more time for things to air out."

"So you couldn't get us a hotel or something?"

"Ma house not good enough?"

"I'm not saying that Beyoncé." She grumbled, snatching a seat on the couch. "I just don't want to be nobody burden, alright? That's all."

"You're not baby." I replied.

"Oh. How can you be so sure?"

I sat down right beside her and draped an arm around her torso. "Ma been prepping this house since the Doc told us you were coming home."

"Hmph."

"Ma basically renovated the entire guestroom, praying it'll please you in a way. She whooped up sum scrimp alfredo with grilled chicken breast on the side."

"Sounds good."

"Look, um, I know thing are hard right now but we're going to take one step at a time. I'll be here with you, aight babe? So have no fear. You'll be back to yourself in no time."

"Easier said than done." She mumbled.

I laid my head ontop of hers and kicked my feet up on the coffee table. She gently placed a hand on my rib cage and turned slightly to the side.

We watched a few movies in comfortable silence without uttering a word. Just from her being in my arms, brought peace to my heart.

I wanted her to be truly happy.

Guess it'll take time.

-•-

7:04pm

We gathered around the kitchen table, cracking jokes and feasting. It was Sunday dinner which meant family time.

"Ma T these greens hitting the spot."

"Y'up! You sure know your way around the kitchen."

"Hush up! Y'all breath starting to funk up my dining room and scaring my cat." She jested.

I laughed, dumping a big spoonful of pasta into my mouth, finishing off another piece of chicken wing next. Onika was nitpicking but nonetheless eating too.

"Is everything alright babe?" Ma asked.

"Uh yeah. Just not feeling too well." She replied.

"Baby blues can be the worst."

I intertwined our fingers underneath the table and finish eating with one hand. Onika didn't look up from her plate, only weakly grin.