Chapter 12: One Way Street

1 month later

Onika Maraj.
Queens, New York

1:27pm

It was the day. The day of moving. I had finally saved up enough money to rent out one of the old brownstones apartments in NYC. The kids were on Thanksgiving break which gave us some time to relocate and get things situated.

"Slow down before you break something." I called out as Khalil ran through the halls with a big box in his hands.

"Mommy, I want ice cream!" Maya whined tugging my arm.

"In a min baby, go help your brother." I pleaded and pointed toward their room.

It was an old modern apartment obtaining two bedrooms and one bath. There was scraped paint throughout the unit and boxes piling up the room. This wasn't the best apartment but was all I can afford and I was more than willing to move out of my father's house.

"Where you want me to put this?" Devin inquired.

I stopped placing the silverware inside the cabinets and looked over at him holding three boxes full of clothes and shoes

I scrutinized him and almost lost my trains of thoughts. He raised a eyebrow, pulling out of the trance and I pointed to my bedroom.

"Damn." I muttered underneath my breath as he walked away.

Charles has been a good friend during this whole moving process. He even managed to borrow the church's old van to help tow my baggage around.

Devin tagged along with him assuming that were a lot of heavy furniture to lift but that wasn't the case.

"Is that everything?" I queried, stepping down the step stool.

He walked out of the room sighing in relief. "Most of it. All there left is the mattress and dresser."

"Good and thank y'all so much."

"Don't sweat it." He replied and headed out the door.

When I didn't hear the door slam, I looked around and Devin reappeared in the hallway with an unreadable expression on his face.

My eyebrows knitted together as he stepped-up, clamping his hands together, and cocking his head to the side.

"Is everything okay?" I lightly chuckled.

"Yea, yea .." He trails off, laughing along with me. "I-I just wondering were you attending the church annual picnic this Saturday because I-"