Chapter 43: Armed And Dangerous I

Onika Maraj.
358 5th Ave Suite.

9:03am

To presumed Tuesdays were the light traffic days was not only eh off but quite comical

To presumed Tuesdays were the light traffic days was not only eh off but quite comical. More people came and left while I stayed stuck to a hard seat.

Fidgeting with my fingers, ears, t-shirt, and anything else to calm the guilt growing inside of me. These sleepless nights were not good at all.

"Andrea Nickerson!"

"Lorenzo Wilmington!"

"Loretta Scott. Please follow us."

Nearly two hours in, yet my name still haven't been called to the front. My eyes darted around the room, rubbing my hands, patting my thighs.

"Just breathe." Someone whispered.

Close off to the left, I spotted a old woman going through Elle magazines. She politely smiled.

"That obvious huh?"

"Quite so." She laughed heartily. "Honey, you have walked up and down this hall since I arrived. Can't seem to keep still and extra jittery."

"Sorry."

"Don't be. I ought thought you were a speed freak but your eyes aren't bloodshot red or watery. You also too groomed to be a sprung out floozy gyal."

"You can tell all that by someone's eyes?"

"Oh yeah. You see a junkie has a weirdly shaded color that usually reflects their soul. Emptiness or bland even when intoxicated. Your eyes, however, are pale as if you're seen a ghost or trying to run away from someone. Or something."

I waved her off. "Y– nah."

"Ha! Sweetheart, I've been living here for almost sixty-one years and could smell a lie from a mile away. You recently went through a heart-rending experience and not thrilled about the outcome.

Maybe you got demoted at your job, lost a friend or might've  broken up with someone you loved deeply. Whatever it is causing you to lose sleep and frying your brain.

Now, I'm not a future teller or magician but I think it's best you breathe. It's needed. Cause if you don't, your thoughts will suffocate you." She replied.

I laughed nervously. "I think it already have."

"No. There's still light in you sweetie. It may not be shining bright but it'll change. Don't let one bad chapter in your life define the rest of it  alright?"