Chapter 5: Close Call

Onika Maraj.
Grocery Outlet
11:46am

"Clean up on aisle eight."

I groaned out of frustration, pushing a heavy cart to the next designated destination. The clock was barely striking twelve and my shift felt long overdue. worn out to the max.

I had already swept and mopped at least four aisles without any help or concerns.

Alvin and his brother were showing favoritism again. One of the grammys had a "whorish" reputation and well .. she was very kind to the managers. none of my business.

However, what did bother me was that I had to take their load while they went and fucked in bathroom stalls.

Sad case.

"Come on five-thirty." I muttered to myself and began sweeping and mopping the floors.

By the time I was finally done, my forehead was dripping sweat and on the verge of falling out in the middle of this store. My back was killing me. I grabbed a cleaning towel from the cart, and wiped my forehead, then headed down the halls.

"Onika!" I heard Alvin's voice and came to a full stop. "I was looking for you! I need you to restock the shelves on aisle four and three."

"I thought Brandon was doing that."

"No. I just told you to do it." He replied smartly.

"This is some bull-" I gnashed my teeth, rolling my eyes and went to the aisles he requested.

The shelves were not only low on items but also disorganized therefore I have to spend the remainder of the hour cleaning, putting things in their correct spot and restocking.

"Excuse me."

I looked up from the ground and saw a group of women, whispering and giggling amongst themselves before their eyes settled on mine again.

They were definitely snazzy, modish clothes that showed more than enough of their skin and basic hairstyles

Ratchet hoes.

I rose to my feet, dusting off my pants, and got ready to assist them. "What can I help y'all with?"

"Um- y'all got any butter, steak, or something?"

"Yeah, go to aisle three or four and you should find everything you need." I said, pointing out the directions and resumed stocking the shelves.