Chapter 10: Something Real

Harlem, New York

1:53pm

I locked my car doors and headed to mamadukes house

I locked my car doors and headed to mamadukes house. The old hag was still living in the dirty suburbs. Though I got more money than a horse has hair, that still didn't convince my mother to move out of the hood.

"Morning Estella." I waved at her next-door neighbor as I jogged up the steps.

"Mm-hm." She narrowed her eyes and turned her head not before flicking me off.

"Fuck you too old bitch." I grumbled, entering my mother's home.

For some reason, moms rarely kept her doors locked. She claimed that long as Jesus was by her side then no harm would be brought against her.

Whateva floats her boat.

My grandfather was the same way and ended up in a ditch. literally. So for safety reasons, I always kept a lookout and tried my best to keep her guarded at all times.

"Beyonce, is that you baby?"

"Yeah Ma." I called out and followed her voice into the kitchen.

She was too busy cooking over the stove to notice me standing behind her. I gave her a side hug and kissed her cheek.

"Un un, don't come here kissing me, smelling like that cheap-ass perfume you be letting them fast girls wear off on you."

"I see you got jokes listerine. This that sean john." I laughed, popping my collar, and made my way into the dining room.

"Sean my ass! smell like ten cans of bounce that ass."

I chuckled. "Yeah, aight old lady, you just keep on wearing them gold chains that make your neck turn green."

"Mm-hm. and you gone right ahead and keep fucking them hussies and watch something else turn green."

I gasped. "See now you got me messed up."

There was a short pause before we belted out in laughs. I waited until she busy searching through cabinets for seasonings to drop some cash in her purse.

Just at the moment that I was about to sit down, I heard someone clear their throat and quickly turned around. Moms was glaring at me with her arms crossed.

"What you cooking Mama?"

"Don't Mama me." She scoffed, snatching her purse and taking the cash out of it. "I told you to stop slipping money in my purse. I don't want it. I don't need it."