Chapter 62: Tangled Up In Blue

"Queen" Knowles.
30 Nov 2018

7:35am 

Once Meadow Ridge trespassed our view, the brake lights of many cars ahead flared. I slowed too much down, earning a few horns.

Great. Just great.

I didn't move for a couple of minutes, drumming my finger on the steering wheel. Children paraded the streets laughing, prancing, as it the degrees heightened.

Gazing outside the car window, heavy sighs pushed out my lips, fuming over the heat. These vehicles were moving, slow, very slowly.

"Bebe!" Mya whinged. "I'm thirsty."

I shook my head lightly, and reached for a fruit juice in the storage compartment. "Here." I spoke calmly, passing her the bottle.

"Thank you."

Khalil hummed to the melodic beat pouring through the radio. I bobbed my head, rearranging my body as cars dawdled to the front line.

"I got friends and you got friends."

"Hey!" I sang.

He grinned. "They hop out, and you hop in."

"I look fly and they jokin'."

"The way you drop d-drop makes me wanna pop is ya man on the floor?" Khalil shook his body, waving his hand in the air. "If he ain't."

"Lemme know!"

"Let me see if you can run it, run it!"

"Girl, indeed I can run it, run it!" I belted out.

We laughed in unison, mumbling some of the words in the song. The line began to move up and roughly ten minutes later, we were in the front.

I got out to grab Mya basket in the trunk while Khalil helped his sister get out. Inside the basket was her mini house made out of popsicles.

I managed to put it together within two days, most of the painting was done by Mya. Each kid had to put their brains to use in order to create something with just popsicle sticks. Leave it up my bratty daughter to want to build a Barbie dream house.

"Alright. Here."

Khalil and I did our handshake which I used the tiny opportunity to slide him twenty-dollars. He gawked, bursting in joy. I signaled him to hush then gave him a sly wink.

"Khalil! Khalil!" His friends chanted.

"Bye Bebe!" He exclaimed.

I waved at his friends, as they met him halfway before heading inside the school. My eyes reverted to little brat who wore a pout.

"You sure you can't come with me?"

Crouching down to her level, I held out my hand out for her to take. She shook her head and ran into my arms, sniffling. I sighed heavily.

"We already talked about this Ma Ma."

"I-I don't want you to go."