Chapter fourteen: inside the woods

"Sarah, this is not a good idea." I tried convincing her, pulling over in the middle of nowhere.

"Why did you stop? You said you know where he is." She said, turning to face me. "You can't stop now. I have to do this."

"You can do this tomorrow morning, not in the middle of the night. How are we even going to find him in those woods?" I asked her.

Sarah had dragged me out of her house and into my car, demanding that I took her to Damien. I tried fighting her back but she was a strong woman physically and she was not taking 'no' for an answer.

But it's not a good idea to look for him. It's not safe, especially today. It was raining heavily and no forest is safe when it rained, especially at night. There could be mudslides and flooding, some wild animals did not mind hunting in the rain. Let's not forget the government, they could arrest us or even shoot at us, thinking we were a threat.

"We could get lost in there." I told her. I didn't need to list all of the other problems. I had tried doing so while she was dragging me to my car and she still didn't listen to reason.

"Drive now," she said while frowning. "Drive or I'll leave you here and go myself!"

"Leave me out in the middle of nowhere? Excuse me, this is my car." I scoffed at her.

"Damien will arrive home soon. If you cannot talk to him in the morning then wait for him to—"

"No! I've been waiting for him for ages. Waiting for him to stop cheating! To be better! To change for me! There is no more waiting!" She yelled, banging my dashboard out of anger. I understood that she was hurt and tired but it was not a good idea to go there. 

"This is partially your fault. The least you could do to make up for everything is to just drive me to him. You don't have to leave the car or anything. Just take me to him." She said softly, her eyes closed as she tried to calm herself down. She was right. I was the cause of this too. I encouraged him to cheat on her and now I had to fix this.

I started the engine and turned on my headlights, speeding to the direction of the woods. I knew that there were three entrances to those woods. The first one was by my house, which was most likely flooded with police officers. The second one was by a park just near the city, it was probably closed too. The third one was the furthest from my house and also the most dangerous.

"We'll enter by the Ferrel River. There's a small hiking trail there that leads to the center of the woods. Perhaps we will meet them there." I told her, taking a turn that was at the opposite direction of my house. I used to be a big fan of hiking and camping before I got a job and I would always have time to do it. I discovered the trail a few years ago and I'm certain that it's still safe to use.

I just hope that it's not flooded, the river must be full because of the rain.

Sarah nodded, staring outside the window. "Thank you..."

"You don't have to thank me. I'm just trying to fix my mistake." I said to her.

There was silence after that, the only sound being the loud rain hitting my car and the sound the wheels outside made against the tar road. "There's just one problem with the trail." I mumbled, suddenly remembering. I pulled over next to a bunch of trees and switched the car off, leaving the headlights on.

Sarah looked outside the window and turned to me in confusion. "Why did you stop again?"

"The trail isn't big enough for cars. We'll have to walk to find him and the other scientists."

She looked at me in shock, as if she didn't expect that. What did she think? These are the woods, not a camping site where trees are cut down to accommodate cars. All the trees there are tightly packed together and haven't been touched by any mankind.