Chapter twenty two: history pt.2

"Elizabeth Taylor was a normal vampire. She wasn't anything special... Until the day she released an evil entity upon our island. She has always been interested in life and death and what happens after death but when our island learned about ghosts, she did something unexpected.

She knew that only humans had souls, so she kidnapped and brought one to the island, a six year old boy with a lot of energy surrounding him and she killed him right on this land. She wanted to get in contact with his spirit, and she succeeded. However, the little boy was not a nice spirit, he was angry... Furious even. Furious that his whole future had been taken away because of someone's curiosity. The little boy possessed her, and because of the evil within vampires and the anger of the ghost, Elizabeth became something else. She became a demon."

I slowly shrunk into the loveseat. This was beginning to sound more like a horror story than the history of an island.

"I don't know how, but she managed to let more demons into the island and there was a war that had formed within. Vampires versus demons. It went on for a long time, until Caeser got tired of always being in war, so he called for peace. It was decided that the land would be split into two for the vampires and demons to live in peacefully. Every year, a peace treaty would be signed and a festival would be held to celebrate that peace. Everyone agreed and there was peace at last. The leader of the demons was the Elizabeth Taylor herself.

After a few more years, more creatures started surfacing up. Creatures that were nothing but monsters to humans but were our people, our kind. They were labelled as mythical creatures where you are from, and that was fine with them long as they never had to encounter humans. Werewolves showed up, also wanting to lead and Caesar and Elizabeth agreed. So there were three leaders. After time, the smaller species also wanted to lead so the land was divided until it could no longer be divided."

There must have been way too many species that they couldn't share anymore land. The population was probably increasing like crazy too so there was no free land or any more resources like food...

"So for the benefit of everyone else, they dropped the dividing system and allowed everyone to live as one but it didn't work out so well. Vampires, demons and wolves were the most powerful of them all but they wanted to be the only ones on top, so the fought all the time. They killed many innocent creatures with every fight and sometimes killed each other. A fight once happened in a lake, where mermaids lived and because of that, mermaids refused to provide fish for them and fish was the main source of food for most creatures.

With no food and with a lot of violence, the leaders started fighting too. The alpha of the wolves lost his temper and killed Caesar. The peace treaty broke and there was war between vampires and werewolves. Demons sided with werewolves and turned against vampires. Elizabeth was killed and the werewolves ruled the land, over everyone."

I gasped, "what happened when the werewolves were in charge?"

"Absolutely nothing, they were shockingly the best thing that's ever happened to everyone. They came up with a system they always use. Ever heard of packhouses?"

I nodded, remembering the concept from one of Sharlene's fantasy books. They were the large houses that held wolf packs. Some were bigger than others.

"An average packhouse held about fifty but the wolves made bigger houses for every species. They hold about two hundred now. Each species has four of those, so that's eight hundred of each species. The pixies and fairies were given the trees in exchange for growing fruits and vegetables, the mermaids got the lakes and rivers as long as they provided and breeded fish. Gargoyles and trolls got caves since they refused decent housing.

Everyone had enough space, enough food and water and there was peace all around. Because there was peace, creatures started marrying into other species and that was when hybrids were born. After the alpha died because of his age, peace continued... Until now." Alexander stopped, closing the book. He stood up and walked to the shelf, pushing it back inside. I stood up too and stared at him.