Chapter twenty six: the smell of drama

"You know what? I'm actually pretty full. You should go ahead without me." I told the twins, watching them stand up from their seats. Silas lifted his arms up while he stretched, not interested in what I had to say. I stared at Sei for an answer, fiddling with the sleeves of his black hoodie. I had worn it to get him to come cuddle me. Men love it when women wear their hoodies, even though some of them pretend they don't.

Alas, it didn't even make him look at me. It seems to me that impressing hybrid men is different from impressing human men.

"You ate how many times?" Sei asked me with a bored look. I thought back to it. I only had a bit of breakfast, which I didn't even finish because of the tension in the room. My silence told them all they needed to know.

"Then it's settled, you're coming to dinner and this time you'll finish your food." Silas said, putting on a grey jacket.

"But..." I started to retort.

"No excuses. You need to get as much energy possible. It's going to be a rough couple of months for you." Silas grumbled, pushing the door open and stepping out. I sighed, knowing that it was either I followed them or they would carry me to the dinner table. I stood up and walked to Sei, looking at the floor. Things were still pretty tense between us and I honestly couldn't take it anymore.

"We talk after dinner." Sei said to me, holding my hand and pulling me along with him. I nodded, pulling his hoodie down. It was pretty big, reaching just above my knees. I didn't have to wear any pants because of it.

"Where are all the other people that live here?" I asked him. I hoped he wouldn't be bothered with me asking about other people. He did make it clear that him and Silas are the only things that should be running through my head.

"Other side of mansion. The head's family is separated from them during dinner and breakfast." He told me. I nodded, not saying anything else. We walked in silence until we reached the dining hall. Everyone was already seated, waiting for the food to be served. Sei and I greeted everyone and I took my place between the twins. Sofia was no longer sitting across me. The seat was left empty. I wondered who it was left for.

"Is Alex coming to dinner?" Sofia asked, staring at Sapphire. The vampire stared at her and smiled forcefully, "He's on his way. He's just speaking to someone."

"Oh? Who is that?" Sofia asked, also giving her sister wife the fakest smile I've ever seen.

"Someone that is none of your concern. A close associate of ours."

"Shut up," Goliath growled, making me shrink back on my seat. That was the first time I've ever heard the man speak and I hoped that it was the last. I thought Silas had the scariest voice but Goliath was on another level. His voice was deep and coarse, like he had gravel wedged in his throat. I stared at him as he sipped on his tea. He seemed to really like tea.

A few women in tight and short blue dresses entered the room, holding multiple trays of food. My stomach rumbled softly at the aroma that hit my nose. Looks like I was hungrier than I thought. I looked up at the women, trying to see if Sharlene was one of them but I didn't see her. I frowned and turned to the delicious looking food, taking a plate for myself.

It was shocking how their food looked better than the food I've had back at home.

I stared at a tray of lasagna, my mouth nearly watering. I was about to reach for it when the door opened again, the person I was dreading to see strutting inside with a wide grin on his face. When Goliath looked up, he stopped smiling and walked timidly to the table.

He's acting timid around his father.

"Sorry I'm late." Alexander said softly, as if he wasn't happy just a couple of seconds ago. He sat down across me, making me quickly look down at my empty plate. I took a deep and quiet breath and told myself that it was okay. He can't do or say anything to me while everyone is here.