Chapter fifteen: lying to the police

Beep... Beep... Beep...

"She's fine—"

Beep... Beep... Beep...

"...just has a fever but she'll be—"

Beep... Beep... Beep...

God, what is that noise?

Where am I?

I slowly opened my eyes, a painful bright light coming from next to me making me quickly close them shut. I slowly turned my back on that light, flinching at the pain I felt all over my body.

What happened?

I tried opening my eyes again, this time being able to do so without being blinded. I blinked a few times, trying to get rid of my blurred vision. I was tired, both physically and mentally. I didn't remember where I was or what had happened. I closed my eyes again and tired to remember... But I just saw mostly darkness. I could still hear the sound of crashing waves in that unexplainable darkness and the loud rain hitting the ground.

I opened my eyes once more, this time there was no blur in my vision and I could see everything. I went back to laying on my back and carefully propped my elbows up on the soft material I was laying on, trying to sit up.

My body was in pain, especially my back and head. I leaned back on a pillow and stared at the room I was in. I could see by the machine next to me that was constantly beeping, and the dull blue and white walls and furniture, that I was in a hospital room.

It was only me in there, but I was certain that I had heard someone speaking.

I looked down at my hands, starting to remember everything again. I was walking in the rain, in the woods, in the dark. I was cold, to the point where everything had felt numb. A few minutes later, I was running away, running away from something. It had glowing red eyes, eyes that I have never seen before. They were bright and they looked like they would burn your flesh off if you touched them.

Someone was pulling on my wet clothes, telling me to run and never look back. She sounded so scared and called on God to save us.

Sarah

"Sarah!" I jumped up, my back stinging and my voice coarse. I laid back down, wanting the pain to subside. Oh my goodness, Sarah. I hoped she was alive and safe wherever she was.

I thought back to everything else that had happened. The water swallowing me, the boulder that saved me but nearly broke my back. The coldness. My cries that got silenced by the rain. The feeling of death creeping towards me as I closed my eyes.

The door opened, making me quickly turn to look at the person entering. It was a woman, a beautiful woman. She was dressed in her white doctors attire and her red hair was tied into a perfectly beat bun. She had a light toned face with red freckles messily scattered all over it, making her all the more beautiful. Her eyes were a brown-green.

"Good afternoon, it is good to see you awake." She said, walking towards me with a clipboard tucked under her arm. I looked to my left, seeing the orange sky and the sun slowly disappearing behind the buildings. Noon? I had been here for more than twelve hours.

"I'm sure you would like to know who brought you here but unfortunately he didn't leave his name." She explained to me, making me turn to face her.

"He said he found you on a boulder in the river and refused to say any more that that. He drove you here in your car. It's parked outside." She said with a smile.

"One of the government troops?" I asked her.

"Oh no dear, the officials weren't anywhere near the area you were in. If that man had not been there, you would've died there alone. You're a very lucky woman." She then checked on me and gave me medicine.