Chapter thirty nine: the arrow

My stomach plummeted to the ground when Sofia excitedly announced that the remaining five contestants were about to fight to the death. My eyes darted between the twins and Alexander and my brows furrowed in worry. This was not going to end well at all.

"If the contestants wish, they may surrender in the middle of the match, meaning an automatic disqualification. The last one standing wins the crown."

At that moment, the vampire leader, Valedria placed a black box on an empty space on a table and opened it. Gently, as if he were holding a fragile talisman, he pulled out a beautiful black crown. I stared at it in awe. I have never seen one such as that, it was absolutely stunning. My heart thumped loudly in my chest when he reached back into the box and pulled an identical one.

 My heart thumped loudly in my chest when he reached back into the box and pulled an identical one

"For the new queen, should there be one." Valedria said, placing it carefully next to the other. I looked at the field, watching Alexander staring at the crowns with a large grin spread out on his face. The twins were not even looking at it, they were whispering discreetly, probably planning something.

I bit my lip in anticipation. I really hope that they don't get too hurt out there.

"Players, choose your weapons!"

The five men all split in different directions, staring at weapons and picking up a few just to test them out. Alexander grabbed a silver dagger, looking at Silas with a small smirk. Silas grabbed a sword, scoffing at Alexander and walking away from him.

Sei picked up a large metal shield, making Kaiser sigh. "Please don't tell me he's planning on defending the whole time."

"I think him and Silas are up to something." I whispered, pointing at Silas who tossed the sword down and picked up a scythe. He ran his finger over the blade and tossed it back, looking for something else. "He's looking for something really sharp."

Before Silas could even pick up another weapon, his mother shouted, "FIGHT!"

Silas groaned in annoyance and grabbed a double edged sword, swiping it at the shifter that had just started charging to him. The shifter had no weapon, he was using his fists.

"Is he crazy? Why is he using his fists?" I asked, pointing at the shifter. The crowd around us started cheering loudly, some creatures placing bets on who would win.

The shifter growled loudly, spreading his arms out dramatically. His body started shaking, sounds of his bones snapping loud enough to hear through the noise of the others. I grimaced as brown fur sprout out of him, his height increasing and his already big muscles expanding in size. His nose turned into a snout and sharp claws sprung out where his nails used to be.

He turned into werewolf that was somehow standing on it's two back legs only.

"Lycan, a second breed of werewolves." Kaiser briefly explained.

With a growl, it charged to Silas with it's claws pointed to him. Silas rolled out of the way and Sei jumped in, making it hit it's body on the large metal shield. It fell and Silas shoved the sword through it's heart, making the crowd roar.