Chapter seventeen: his escape

"PLEASE MAY YOU ALL STAY WHERE YOU ARE UNTIL SUBJECT MM2077 HAS BEEN RECAPTURED. WE BELIEVE THAT HE IS STILL IN THE BUILDING."

I looked up at the red lights, my hands still on my face and wiping my tears. They had stopped flowing, my emotional pain getting replaced by curiosity. I wasn't sure if I was surprised about Sei- Silas escaping or not. He did let me know so I was not too shocked about it yet hearing the alarms did freak me out.

I stood up from the toilet and made my way outside of the stall. I wondered if Mr Hughes was in the building. I still didn't know how the hunt went but since Sharlene came back alive, I'm assuming that all went well for them.

Wait, Silas said it was a failed task earlier so perhaps it didn't.

I stepped out of the restroom and into the main lobby, where everyone usually sat if they were waiting to be attended to. The exit was closed shut and the blinds were closed, making the only source of light be the red light from the ceiling. It looked like every light had changed colour. There were no people inside the lobby, making me feel rather uncomfortable considering that it was so full just a while ago.

Putting aside my discomfort, I made my way to the direction of the cafeteria, finding the double doors also closed. I pushed them, the objects refusing to budge. I was pretty sure that there were people locked in there, at least they would be safe.

"Rutherford!" A woman called out, making me turn and look behind me.

"Felisha Wang?" I asked as the redhead approached me. She grabbed my wrist and pulled me with her, making me rip it away from her hold. She turned to look at me like I was crazy. "Let's go! That thing is on the loose. We can't be exposed like this."

"All the doors are locked. We're stuck on the hallway." I told her, furrowing my brows. Her blue eyes looked red from the lights above us, her pale skin looking sweet pink.

"Damien found a spot. There's like fifteen of us but you should fit."

Why do I always have to hear that man's name?

"I'd rather die than be anywhere near Sharlene and Damien. Go, let me be killed by him." I told Felisha, crossing my arms. I didn't have to go anywhere in any case. Silas wasn't going to hurt me now that I was his soulmate. It made me feel some sort of ease to know that. To know that I didn't have to be as scared as the others.

"Him? That's no him, ford. That was a beast and it'll kill us all." She whispered harshly, grabbing my wrist again. I looked at her in confusion. What was she talking about? They said that Silas escaped, why were they so scared to go out and capture him like they did before?

"What beast?" I asked her hesitantly.

"The one we were after in the woods. We caught it, but it escaped." Felisha explained, her eyes widening at the same time. "I don't understand, there was one enclosed in the cells at the underground lab. Next thing I know, it's gone and there's a huge hole on the door."

I stared back at her in horror, suddenly remembering the two red eyes and the deafening screeches I had heard. That was what was loose? Not Silas? That terrifying and large beast was the one running around the place?

Screeeeeeeeeee!

"Oh my goodness!" Felisha exclaimed, letting go of me and running away. She sprinted towards the end of the hallway, me following suit and running behind her. "Wait! Don't leave me!" I called her, running faster to try and catch up with her. I screamed when I felt the ground shaking, heavy and large steps charging behind me. It screeched again, making me cover my ears and run faster.