Chapter nineteen: their family

After I took a bath and dressed up, I let Silas lead me to his family. I had worn a long green floral dress and black high heels. I tied my black hair back into a low ponytail and wore a small rose gold chain I found on the dressing table. I wore no make up since it was pretty early into the day.

I looked around the mansion as we made our way to our destination. It was a beautiful place, resembling what I've always imagined a palace would look like on the interior. The main colours were rose gold and white, making the place look all the more majestic.

We walked down a flight of spiral stairs and that was when I could hear a group of people laughing. Silas held my hand and led me to tall double doors, where the sound was coming from. My heart started beating loudly. I was really nervous about meeting their family, their parents especially. I was his and Sei's soulmate and as much as the concept still confused me, I just knew that it had to be a big deal for them.

I took a deep breath and watched as Silas pushed one of the double doors open. He gave me one reassuring look before leading me into the room, which I recognized to be a dining room since it had a long rectangular table and chairs placed around it.

I looked around the table, there were just about five people seated there, eating breakfast. They had all been talking and laughing to themselves until Silas and I walked in. Everyone got silent and turned to look at us expectantly, making me stop breathing. I looked up at Silas with widened eyes, waiting for him to quickly say something.

He squeezed my hand and looked at his family. Sei stood up from one of the chairs and made his way to us, looking at me from head to toe with a small smile.

Beautiful, his voice spoke softly in my mind. I smiled at that, holding his hand.

"Mother, father and everyone else. This is our soulmate, Akielia Rutherford." Silas grumbled out, suddenly seeming very irritated. He glared at each and every one of his family members, as if he was silently daring them to say something to make him angry.

"Uh... Hello there." A woman said, shrinking back at Silas' hard stare. She looked stunning and very similar to Sei. She had greyish blue curls and her skin was pale and sparkly. She looked away from Silas and looked at me with a forced smile. "It's good to meet you. Please take a seat and join us for breakfast. There's plenty of food."

"Thank you, mam." I mumbled, smiling at the woman. She looked a bit older, so I was guessing that she was their mother. The man next to her stared at me with a cold look, similar to how Silas looked at me the first time I met him. His grey eyes displayed hatred, I don't know if it was for me or his sons. He looked like a much older version of Silas, with yinmin blue curls and tanned skin. He was also very large in size, his black suit failing to hide his thick muscles.

Their father didn't say anything, he only continued to sip on his tea. Silas growled angrily, "I'm speaking to you, old man." I looked at him in surprise. Why would he speak so rudely to his father, an elder? I turned to look at the older man to find him still sipping his tea. He didn't seem to care about my presence or his son's rude tone.

"It's rude to keep a woman standing boys, please take a seat." Another woman spoke, sipping on red wine. She looked very strange, her eyes were bright red and seemed to be glowing. I thought Sei had the palest skin but this woman looked as pale as a dead body. Her hair was an unnatural matte black colour. She looked at me up and down with a smirk and she slowly licked her red lips, making me gulp inaudibly.

Sei pulled me to the table and I sat down across their mother. Sei and Silas sat on either side of me and grabbed some food, serving themselves. I was still looking at the woman with strange red eyes, something about her made me feel another level of discomfort.

"I'm Sapphire, the second wife of Goliath." She told me. Her voice was seductive. It sounded like she was inviting me to her bed even though she didn't exactly say that. I nodded slowly, "It's nice to meet you, all of you. Thank you for having me here." I said, looking at everyone. There was a fourth person there, who had been quiet this whole time. It was a teenage boy, who had not once looked in my direction. He also had matte black hair, pale skin and glowing red eyes.

Silas saw me staring and looked at him too, hissing at him right after. "Greet or else I'll snap your neck in half."

The boy looked up from his barely cooked steak and stared at me. "Hi," He mumbled. "Alexander, Sapphire's son and the twins' step brother." He looked back down at his food. His steak looked really raw, there was still blood dripping from it yet he didn't seem to care about it.

I nodded and looked down as well. This introduction did not go as well as I had hoped it would. The family did not seem to be comfortable with me being there and that made me feel awkward. Sei pushed a plate of eggs and bacon to me and pointed at it, silently telling me to eat. I nodded and picked up a fork, eating the food. I could feel them all, except for Alexander, staring at me as I ate.

"So..." Their mother said after clearing her throat. "What are you?" She asked me curiously. I looked at her in confusion. What did she mean by what am I?

Sei and Silas looked at each other at that question. "She's not comfortable with speaking about that." Silas mumbled.

"Oh? Why? I'm sure it's not that bad. We're welcoming to all creatures." She said cheerfully. I looked at Sei and Silas, confused by what she meant by that? They're welcoming to all creatures? Did she not know that I'm human?

"Sofia, I said she's not comfortable." Silas said, glaring at his mother. So he was rude to both his parents then? I did not know how I felt about that.

"Why though?" Sofia asked him. She turned to me, pushing her plate away to reach for my hand. She held it tight, making me freeze in place. "Is it because you're one of the weaker creatures? Fairy? Fae? Pixie?"

"Mother! That's enough." Silas snapped, ripping her cold hand off mine. I was beyond confused now. They were talking about pixies and fae, do those creatures actually exist as well? Why couldn't Silas just tell them that I was neither? That I was a human...

Sei pushed his plate away and looked at me, "finished eating?" He asked me. I took one last bite of the crispy bacon and nodded. He stood up and held my hand, pulling me up as well. Without another word, he pulled me out of the dining room and I could hear Silas yelling at his family after that as if they were disobedient learners. I could not even understand what was going on at that moment but I really hoped that I wasn't the reason why they were fighting with their family members.

More importantly, why were they hiding that I was human?

Was there something wrong with humans here?