Chapter eighteen: their homeland

"Can you just drop me off over there?" I asked Damien, pointing towards the entrance of the woods. It was the same one Sarah and I had used at night. Seeing it made me feel saddened all over again.

There was a narrow dirt trail leading up to the tall, closely packed trees. Even with the sun out, there was still darkness between the trees, showing just how little light made its way through the treetops.

"There's no need for that. We're all driving to a motel just outside of the city. It's a couple of miles away so that thing can't track us down." Damien said, driving past the spot I told him to stop.

I turned to glare at him, "stop. I'd like to get off."

"Why? It's not safe for you. We're in the middle of nowhere. Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"Babe, just let her leave. It's her choice." Sharlene intervened, rubbing his shoulders from the back seat.

"I just want to ensure that you guys are safe." Damien said, obviously getting frustrated. Sharlene and I stared at each other, her rolling her eyes and me shaking my head. He slowed down, the car stopping in the middle of the road.

We were metres away from where I had asked him to stop so there was no point in even getting down. I couldn't walk back all that way. "Nevermind, Damien. Just keep driving-"

"Nobody get out of the car." Damien said, staring at the road in front of him. We all turned to look in front of us, my eyes widening in surprise.

"Silas..." I mumbled, my widened brown eyes staring at his tall figure that stood in the middle of the road. He had his hands in the pockets of his hoodie and he was in pants and sneakers, the same ones I found him wearing back at the lab. When and how did he get there?

"Subject MM2077. He really did escape." Damien mumbled, his mouth slowly gaping open. He was shocked and a slight bit scared. I looked back at Silas, my eyes moving towards the trees where a second figure came out from between them.

"Oh hell no." Sharlene said, staring as an exact replica of Silas stepped out of the trees, only with paler skin, lighter greyish and longer hair. Sei walked to Silas and stood next to him, both of them staring at the car.

"This has to be another level of bad luck." Sharlene mumbled to herself. "Drive! Now, Damien!" She shouted, Damien aggressively switching gears.

"No! Wait! They're here for me." I told them, making Damien stop the car and look at me in disbelief. I didn't blame his face, I would've given anyone else the same look if they told me that. I unlocked the door and stepped out before Damien could object or keep me from getting out.

"Get back in the car, are you crazy?" Sharlene said, making me slam the door. I stared right at the twins, my heart hammering in my chest. My chest felt warm as I walked closer to them, the heat slowly but surely spreading to the rest of my body. I didn't know what to call it, but there was a certain attraction I felt to them. A part of my heart... My soul was yearning to get closer to them. Perhaps it was the bond Silas spoke of. A bond that attracted me to two strangers.

I walked to them, the two men seeming to be only getting taller as I approched. Silas smirked at me and Sei only smiled warmly, making me involuntarily smile too.

"There's our little rose." Silas said, gently holding my wrist and pulling me towards him. Sei gently placed his hand around my neck and leaned down to kiss my forehead. "Finally," he whispered.

Sei let my neck go and held my other wrist, both of the men pulling me along with them towards the woods. I stared back at Sharlene's Toyota, seeing the both of them standing outside the car and staring at me in bewilderment.