Chapter 24: Savior

Kazakhstan  

(I know he just had a Pov, but i have my reasons)

I swished my tail waiting impatiently for Argentina to emerge from the flames, my wings twitched as I saw a cat running out from behind the school.

"He said his cat was in there. Is... that... him..?" I quickly began to walk towards the cat who sat down waiting, watching the flames burn, its fur puffed up like a marshmallow being heated in the microwave.

"He, kitty, kitty, where is your owner?" It lifted a paw towards the school as if it understood me. I tapped my talons on the floor anticipating

"I... Is your owner Argentina?" I asked nervously. The cat meowed, not looking away from the flames. I snapped my eyes to the building as I heard the sound of collapsing buildings. Part of the school had already collapsed in the flames. Where the heck is Greece when you need her? She could put out the flames! I looked around but I didn't see Greece.

"Okay, kitty... I'm going to go in there. If I don't come out, I want you to go to America, he Is a red, white and blue country. He has a box in the top right of his face with white stars and red and white stripes." I paused and brought my hand up to my face with a sigh.

"God... I'm talking to a cat now..." I'm going crazy. I looked at the burning building. Alright, Argie, I'm coming for you. My wings twitched uncontrollably and my tail swishing side to side. My anxiety grew as I stepped closer to the building.

You've been in there for over 20 minutes... I stepped closer, if I had reached out I could touch the door. Okay, Let's go... I can do this.

I tightened my wings to my back, and my tail feathers narrowed. I slid my goggles over my eyes to protect them from the smoke and I took a big gasp for air before slapping my hand over my face.

Quickly I opened the door and smoked went cascading out. My talons gilded over the burning hot tile floor, making a clicking noise as my nails hit it. I didn't see anyone in the main entrance, so I decided that he must have been in his room. Shit...

I bolted towards the dorms, dodging around falling debris as I shot up the stairs. I involuntarily loosened my wings as I skidded to a stop in front of Argentina's dorm. If he is in there... I don't know if he is still alive...

I readied myself for the burning of the doorknob as I reached for it, I was shocked when it felt cold, there was no trace of heat affecting the doorknob.

I tried to push open the door, but it didn't budge. Maybe I could overpower it... Maybe I should ram it...? I stepped back, took a breath and rammed into it with my shoulder, the door burst into brittle and burned splinters as I stepped into a pile of burning debris inside of Argie's room.

I jolted back as flames licked at my talons. I jumped over the pile, clearing the debris around it, I squinted my eyes through the smoke as it curled around my goggles, and spread through the top of the room.

"Argie?" I ducked down into the more clear air and took a breath. Would that be a bad idea? I got down onto my hands and knees as I spread my wings and flapped a couple of times, pushing the smoke out of the open door and window. I opened my eyes and saw Argentina sprawled out on the ground about fifty feet away from me, knocked out.

"Argie!" I quickly ran over to him, bolting through bouts of fire along the way. I picked him up and turned around before I burst into a fit of coughing.

I've been here for too long... My lungs burned fr clear air and my head began to hurt because of the growing heat. I opened my eyes and walked carefully towards the window. Argentina's hair brushed my arms and his limp limbs swung while I carried him.