Chapter 38 : Light Morning Workout

In training ground 17, Fujin and his new Sensei were alone. Renjiro asked, "Why didn't you use swords during the spar?"

Fujin replied, "Cause I don't have any. I checked the prices, and even the cheapest one costs 12k Ryo. Sadly I can't afford them."

The answer was within Renjiro's expectations. He nodded and said, "I'll be teaching you how to wield swords from now onwards. Don't worry about the swords, I have a few you can use. We will first test your skills and also the size of the sword that'll suit you. After that, the 3rd Hokage will order 2 custom made samurai swords for you."

Fujin nodded and thanked him. Renjiro took out a scroll, laid it on the ground and rolled it open. Fujin noticed that it was a storage scroll. And looking at the number of storage seals, he probably was the one who made it.

Renjiro made a hand sign and 12 swords appeared on the scroll. Fujin picked up two, which were very similar in size to the ones he already used and said, "Sensei, the ones I used in the academy were of this size." Renjiro replied, "Alright, we'll start with these then. Let's have another spar. I wanna see how good your sword skills are."

Fujin and Renjiro then sparred to compare their sword skills. While sparring, both had different thoughts. Fujin was happy that his sensei wasn't the same 'monster' he was earlier. Renjiro on the other hand had mixed feelings about Fujin's swordsmanship.

He thought, 'This kid's basics are extremely solid. Especially considering that he has only trained with swords for less than a year. However, apart from the basics, he has nothing at all. There's no style to his swordplay. It's just a simple straightforward attack and defense. While he has been attacking and defending well, it's only due to him leveraging his speed and strength. If I were to increase my speed and strength to match his, he most probably won't even last 5 seconds.'

The spar continued for a few minutes more before Renjiro halted it. He concluded, 'He's like an unpolished jade! Not having any other styles means that he doesn't have any bad habits. While in the long run it may be disadvantageous, but for practicing just one style, this would be very convenient. Of course, since he hasn't practiced any styles yet, I can't say how fast or slow he will be at learning the Samurai Saber Techniques.'

Renjiro then suddenly increased his speed to match Fujin's and skillfully hit both his swords consecutively to create an opening, and then placed the tip of his sword very close to Fujin's throat. He said, "Alright that's enough. I'll teach you some new forms."

He then displayed a few forms for Fujin and asked him to copy and practice them. The training continued for 3 hours, after which Renjiro dismissed Fujin.

After dismissing Fujin, Renjiro reported to Hiruzen. On entering his office, Hiruzen asked him, "So how were the kids." Renjiro replied, "Very promising old man. They are much stronger than an average genin. Hoka is already at chuunin level in terms of Taijutsu. And Mieko is the same in terms of Ninjutsu, though her chakra reserves need to increase. Fujin's Ninjutsu isn't bad either. Though his Ninjutsu was weaker than Mieko's, he was more skillful with them. And his chakra reserves are higher than hers. The most surprising thing is that his tactical thinking is already on par with someone who has gone through many missions. And, even though they didn't actively strategize, they were smart enough to take advantage of the openings provided by their other teammates. Even if I had conducted a test, they would have easily passed it to become genins."

Hiruzen nodded and thought, 'Just as their results indicate. Though Fujin's tactical prowess is surprising to hear. I guess that is why he was able to easily rank 1st in the written exams.' He then asked, "What about Fujin's sword skills?" Renjiro shook his head and said, "I can't say yet. His basics are good, but whether he can learn further or not depends on his talent and the effort he puts in." Hiruzen replied, "Alright. I'll leave it to you" and dismissed him.