Tempt the Devil: Chapter 2: Sarah

The papers were a mess thanks to the jerk who wasn't looking where he was going. Thankfully none of them had to be in order and I had made extra copies. Some of them had been walked on.

"Is that the new menu?"

"Yeah."

Erica took one and perused it, checking for errors. It was rather late to be doing that but I wasn't going to stop her.

"All clean." she cooed.

"Great," I muttered, wrapping the apron around my waist.

The restaurant was barely full yet dozens of people walked past the shop. It wasn't dingy, it was incredibly clean yet I couldn't get the patrons to walk through the door.

I was down to Erica who helped me wait tables, Igor the chef and Leith the busboy.

"We're too far away from the square, you know."

Erica was muttering as she put the new menus into the folders.

"I can't afford it, this place is about to kill me as it is."

The inheritance was almost gone. Soon I will be living in the storeroom to cut costs.

"Oh dear lord would you look at that hunk of man meat."

I watched as he pushed through the door, the guy that had helped me pick up the papers on the crosswalk.

"Fight you for it," Erica said under her breath.

"Sorry darlin' but somehow I don't think he's here to eat."

She frowned at me as the guy found a seat against the far wall.

"Tell you later."

I grabbed one of the new menus and walked over to him.

You can do this my mind offered as its pitiful support.

"Hi." I squeaked.

Well done, voice. Idiot.

"Hello again."

He smiled at me and I felt the air in my lungs leave me, my brain ceased to function and my heart was about to pound its way through my chest. Okay so that might have been a little melodramatic but the smile was pretty damned good.

"Are you here to eat?" or something else my mind finished the sentence.

Ever hopeful as always.

"That is what you do here, isn't it? I haven't strolled into a movie theater, have I?"

I let out a pained laugh, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks. The man smiled again as I passed the menu over.

"Sorry, I just thought that you might have come here because of before."

"Oh." he said simply.

Long narrow fingers gripped the edge of the menu, briefly sliding against mine. The spark of the touch sent a thrill through me, coursing through my veins.

He had the strangest eyes, they looked brown but they seemed so different to everyone else's. They had an almost rich redness to them, they looked incredible.

That smile beckoned me to him again, beyond the pale pink lips were teeth that were perfect. Straight and white, not a flaw to be found. In fact, the man seemed flawless all over.

"I'm Sarah. When you're ready to order just give me a shout."

"Sure thing... Sarah."

I turned around before the pink on my cheeks turned to red, Erica had been watching the whole time. Glued to us and looking rather stunned. Quickly I scurried through the tables and into the kitchen with Erica hot on my heels.