Tempt the Devil: Chapter 8: Sarah

I woke to find myself on a bed under the sheets. My clothes were still on and everything felt normal. Except for my mind. My head was groggy like it had been this morning. When I sat up a dog came bounding over, panting happily as he sat by the edge of the bed. I scratched at his fur, it was incredibly hot.

Blearily I looked around the room. It was cold and stark with white walls and furnishings. The view was to die for, it stretched across the city and for miles to the horizon. I got up and wandered to the window, looking downwards as much as I could. This had to be a penthouse, the building towered over the others. As I picked up my shoes I tiptoed through the apartment, searching for Anton.

When I reached the part of the corridor that had another corridor shoot off to the left, I didn't know which way to go. Venture forward beyond the partially closed door or to the left that led to the rest of the grand place?

Hearing a clink of glass, I followed the noise and pushed through the door. Light shone brightly through the enormous glass windows, Anton stood in front of them as he looked out upon the city.

"Beautiful, is it not?" he said without turning.

"Yeah, it's great. Why are we here?"

"Because you were asking too many questions with too many people listening."

Anton turned and gestured to the seats. "Please, sit and ask away."

I walked around the line of chairs, they were facing a wall unit in a u-shape. It might not have been the wisest of choices but I chose to sit on the long lounge rather than the single seats. Anton upended what looked like a finger of scotch and watched me as I sat down.

"Who or what are you?"

"I am the master of the afterlife." Anton paused as he placed the empty glass onto the cabinet. "Or otherwise more commonly known as the devil."

It felt like all of my blood drained from me. This guy was crazy and I was stuck in some fancy apartment, alone with him. 

"It's okay to not believe me, Sarah. Words are nothing. Anyone could say they were the devil but without the proof, why would you bother to listen?"

He started to slowly walk in front of the cabinet, stopping directly in line with me.

"I much prefer to show you."

With a click of his fingers, I was up to my chest in gold coins, Anton sitting cross-legged on the pile. I gasped, unable to move my body. My arms were still on my lap which was being crushed by a thick layer of coins. How was this even possible? It isn't, it's a trick of the mind.

"Feel free to fill your pockets, I won't mind. Except, these aren't American coins. How about some local currency?"

The crushing pain of the coins against my body was gone, replaced with notes of varying denominations falling from the ceiling. Anton sat on the table in front of me with a dark grin.

"What do you think?"

"I think you've drugged me with a hallucinogen."

"Well that's a new one." he said dryly.

The money was gone before I could even stuff my pockets. Not that I really wanted his fake money. Anton rose from the coffee table and sat on the lounge beside me.

"Do me a favor, in your mind think of an animal. Be thorough and detailed. You can even go to the extreme and make it incorrect if you like. All I ask is that you remember the details so that when I show it to you, you will know how serious I am. Can you do this Sarah?"