Tempt the Devil: Chapter 10: Sarah

We were taking a casual stroll through the streets, slowly making our way from Anton's apartment to the restaurant for dinner service. It was only early afternoon but the pace that we were taking would take a while to get there. When we came across a chocolate shop, Anton dragged me into the store.

"Why?"

"Why not? Don't you like chocolate?"

"Yeah but the restaurant, we'll never get there if we stop at every shop along the way."

He smiled and put a box of chocolates into my hands, continuing along the various stands.

"Those that are working in that shop will work efficiently and without any issues. They would not dare disappoint their master."

I stopped and looked at him.

"Igor," I said quietly.

Anton looked around the quiet shop and moved closer.

"Yes, Sarah. Your star chef is one as well."

"How? What did he want?"

"Died in one of the crusades. He was valiant in battle and died saving another. Sacrifice Sarah, it earns so much."

He dumped another box of chocolate into my hands and continued along the aisle.

"So he made a deal with you?"

"No, he died and was brought before me because of what he did before he died. The world was less populated back then so the way that we did things was a little different. His gesture was mighty so he was offered something that was on par with it. Renewed life, away from the battle and in a new breed of being."

"Immortality sounds pretty cool."

"Yes."

The emotion in his face dropped away as he stared ahead of him. He seemed to be a little dazed, blinking and turning to me he offered a smile. One that was a little dark and spine-tingling.

"But not all would see it that way, Sarah. Forever is a long time, remember that before you swoon over the concept."

"How is it that you're not crazy from living for so long?"

"Who said I'm not?"

Anton chuckled and put another box on the ever growing pile.

"The mind has this wonderful ability to make things appear as if it is a normal life. I remember each and every day of the past yet it seems like nothing more than a few years. Tomorrow holds so many possibilities, so much to see and do so, therefore, there is no weariness for the path ahead. This mind is made for the long term, the human mind is made for the short term."

We were back on the street again before I said anything more. I didn't want to talk about immortality in front of the woman as she rung up the overpriced chocolate.

"So if a human becomes... you know." I darted my eyes around the busy street as I lowered my voice.

"The brain re-wires itself to cope with the new life."

"Oh," I said quietly.

We walked in silence mostly, walking past designer shops with couture clothes. The big dream was to be so successful I could go into a shop like these ones and not worry about the cost of the item. I could never be so frivolous with money. Buckle down and save for tomorrow. But one dress would be nice.

I'd have to scour the second-hand shops to find something for the wedding. Maybe there might be an outlet shop nearby, one that I could get public transportation to.