Tempt the Devil: Chapter 27: Anton

Morning light shone through the windows, I woke with a ravenous hunger. Not for any form of sustenance. No, this was a hunger for the woman asleep in my arms.

She wore the tiniest of bed clothes which of course I could blame Rowan for. It was her doing, everything that Sarah wore now was out of the new items. But blaming Rowan for something that I enjoyed the sight of was incredibly wrong. I should thank her.

My mind tried to slow the hunger but failed, for two weeks I have gone without but that was not the reason. I held no interest for anyone else, just for Sarah. What if they made us wait a year to see each other again? How could I rest of a night without her beside me? In just these few nights I had found a new sense of ease with the night, able to sleep without the fear of dreams that haunt me. I didn't want to lay in a bed without her. The sound of her breathing, the patter of her heart, all sounds that lulled me. But better than any sound was her body against mine, the warmth and love from just one gesture was incredible. The answer was that I couldn't sleep without her but I didn't have any other choice.

And it was the same for us having sex before or after the transformation. There was a very real probability that she would become pregnant. If they made us wait a year she could go into labor without me, she could go through the birth alone. And even though I knew that Igor would be there for her, I knew it was something that I didn't want for Sarah. Or me, for that matter. I doubted the council would change their ruling just because our child was about to be born.

As much as it pained me to think of things for the future, I knew that Rowan would have to become a go-between. She was the only female demon that I trusted with coming into regular contact with Sarah. Unlike the others, she didn't have an ulterior motive and hadn't been with me either. And for such service, I would personally be indebted to her. She had already pleased me with the efforts she had gone to in finding suitable clothing for Sarah and I was yet to reward her for it.

There would be only one thing that Rowan would want and it pained me to think of it. Time off for her and Nicolas would create a burdening workload for me, especially now that the majority of female demons had left my world. I would just have to do some recruiting of male staff. Nolia would have to remain but the rest will remain in their re-assigned roles.

Sarah rolled over with an appreciate murmur mixed with a little giggle.

"What a mighty fine sight for a terrible day."

"It may not be that bad." she murmured sleepily.

"Maybe."

But unlikely. The least amount of time apart that I had heard of was three months and that was under the previous grand councilor, a man that was benevolent. The creature who currently ruled was more cold-hearted than I was and I was beginning to think she hated me.

Maybe I'd knocked off someone that she loved. Then again, I was supposed to be hated. I was the devil, people saw me and they saw death.

Sarah's fingers trailed circles over my chest, her head on my shoulder. The soft breath across my neck was warm in the cool of the room. I held her close, knowing that our days together were numbered, that in a few days' time we would have to part company.

Three months was never going to happen. Those that ruled would have me suffer. After all, death was about sufferance. I couldn't buy or bribe them, there was nothing that could persuade them. It was a joint decision and they were all strong and untouchable.

Sarah's tender touch had stopped, her warm hand resting on my chest. She'd fallen asleep again and I laid there staring at the ceiling.

Several hours later we were sitting at the dining table eating breakfast. There were so many things that we had to go through. I didn't know where to begin.

"The councilors ruled that I cannot fund your charity work through any means whether it be direct or indirect. You are permitted to sell the current lot but nothing more that I buy for you."

"Oh." she said quietly.

"But that does not mean that you cannot do your work Sarah, you just have to think outside of the box. Maybe with the first lot you can start it up as you wanted and push for donations from those that attend your function. That way you are getting more stock in and it meets the council's requirements."

She thought about it for a few seconds and then happily nodded as she ate her breakfast.

"And uh, you are going to have to buy me out of the restaurant."

Her eyes darted to mine with confusion on her face.

"Masters are not supposed to be involved in any form of businesses. We've got five years so there is a little leeway. The amount I have invested is not so substantial. You are paying the staff now so there is no further money being handed out from me. To avoid complication it would be wise that you save the money from the profits of the business rather than from our joint account."

She choked on her coffee, thumping at her chest.

"What joint account?" she croaked.

"Bank account Sarah, is that not what couples do when they become a couple?"

Sarah frowned as she thought about it.

"Everything is in order, the card is in your wallet and there is a checkbook in your drawer for the more substantial items."

"I don't know what you think I'm going to need that's substantial Anton."

Her eyes looked up at me and my grin, the frown giving way to confusion and shock.

"What have you done?"

"What have we done darling. We are in the process of purchasing the apartment block that you live in. You will need to pay for the renovations and furnish the place."

Sarah sat back, unable to understand my words.

"I had little choice Sarah, you don't like this apartment at this height and you said that you loved the other one so I made an offer to the owner of the building. He accepted it because I offered more than its value. The tenants are being relocated and in a few weeks' time, you will need to start organizing things. I know it will be difficult but we will get there. Get some plans drawn up, hire some contractors. Demon contractors. Get the job done and when phase four is over we will have a house to live in that meets both of our needs."

"You make it sound so simple but you won't be there."

"I believe that you will cope just fine Sarah. Rowan will be our go-between and she will deliver any messages that you or I may have."

I reached across the table and took her hand. Her downcast eyes looked up to mine.

"It's going to be okay Sarah, trust me."

She nodded, still a little shocked. It was going to be okay, she just needed a little more faith in herself.