Playing with Fire: Chapter 21: Anton

With Nicolas, Rowan, and Castian hiding in a hotel somewhere in this vast city, Sarah and I laid upon the bed. Her eyes were filled with so much sadness for what had just passed and what will pass. I wished I could tell her, I wished I could fill her with hope but I had to ensure that the charade of tomorrow would fool the council. They had to turn her into an immortal human. I couldn't have Sarah sign a deal just to become immortal, I will not have her calling me master and being in service to me. That was not a suitable relationship for us.

When she fell asleep I pulled away from her and walked into the bathroom, calling Nolia.

"My lord."

"Nolia would you send a clean-up crew to Sarah's apartment, six of the damned to be removed."

"Alive my lord?"

"No, they have moved on."

I looked down at the lifeless bodies, now at peace which was a rare gift for those who had been damned for eternity.

"As you wish my lord."

Nolia paused for a moment.

"Peaco requested to see you urgently. He said that you will be waiting for a meeting with him and I had to tell you as soon as I spoke to you."

"Of course, give him my location and tell him to come at once."

As the clean-up crew appeared and took away the bodies, I paused for a moment and waited for them to leave.

"Everything is running smoothly as expected. Will you be returning today, my lord?"

"Not today, call if you need anything."

She hummed her agreement and goodbye in her usual sultry tone. As I hung up from the call, I slipped the phone back into my pocket and looked around the little bathroom. The sooner this was changed the better, I knew that Sarah would hate it now.

Peaco appeared before me with a bow.

"My lord."

He was a man that had been in servitude for a century, he was a gentleman and had little issues with pleasantries like the young ones did. As a bonus to me in my current situation, the man was a photographer or more commonly known as a member of the paparazzi.

To my delight, he clearly had something if he was wanting to see me so urgently. I suppose I could jump for joy, it would not be beyond the devil to find happiness with something and to show it. Of course, it would look rather silly so I refrained from showing my utter happiness. Instead, I would quietly soak in the moment, basking in the glory that was the knowledge that I was about to be victorious.

She dared to go against me, she and her kind were so stupid as to think that they could rule the devil. Were they so blinded by their own greed and need to cause misery that they had lost sight of what they were really meant to do? It was likely and I was going to make them pay.

Some would pay dearly, some not at all. It depended on how they sat with me prior to Sarah entering my life. There were one or two that I could let slip through the crack and ignore them in the showdown tomorrow but there was one that was going to hell, literally.

"Yes, thank you for coming so quickly."

"When master summons, demons answer. It is not a hard rule to follow."

I smiled with a nod, pleased with his attitude.

"You asked to see me urgently, I take it that you have something of value for me."

"Yes my lord. I followed and documented the grand councilor as you requested."

He pulled open his jacket and removed an envelope.

"If I may be so bold, quite an unpleasant woman, even from a distance."

"Yes, that's her alright."

He grinned darkly and nodded. I opened the envelope and looked at the images of her talking to a woman. I'd seen her in the underworld, she was a witch.

The photos were great, showing the beast and the witch in full detail. They showed them talking beside the corner of an alley and as the photos progressed, an envelope was passed between them. Hot diggity dog.

"Correct me if I am wrong my lord, but I was of the belief that the council of deities was not to speak with beings on the proscribed list."

"You are very much correct Peaco and you have done well, thank you. My gratitude awaits you at your residence, enjoy with my blessing."

"Thank you for thinking of me for your task, my lord. I look forward to hearing from you again."

Peaco bowed slightly again and faded into the air, leaving me rather chuffed at how things were playing out. Everything was falling into place.

I put the envelope into my inner pocket and pulled out my phone, dialing an old friend.

"Anton, everything okay?"

"Yes, everything is going great. We are ready to go ahead for tomorrow as planned."

"Do you think that they will expect it?"

"No, I think that this will come as a complete shock which is just the way that I want it."

I reached out and pulled the towel away from the window, letting in the sunshine. It was such a wonderful day outside, I wanted to lay in the sun with Sarah. Maybe on the grass at Central Park again, only this time not so naughty. I don't think she'll let that happen again so soon, not after finding out we had been seen by the locator.

It was a rather terrible lapse in my judgment, I should have remembered that the locator would be tracking her and watching everything that she did. I suppose I could plead guilty, taken by the moment of lust and wanted to see Sarah writhe with pleasure.

The thoughts of it sparked a jolt of pleasure through me, whispering in my mind of how much I wanted Sarah, right now.

"And what about Sarah?"

"She doesn't know and I would like to keep it that way for the time being. I do not like to keep secrets from her but in this instance it is necessary. Everything has to be perfect tomorrow or the plan will fail."