Tempt the Devil: Chapter 14: Sarah

Fingers splayed out over my back just below my arm as he pulled me closer. Our bodies were so close together yet so far apart. It was creating a heat that could not be extinguished. I wished he would just get it over with, to end the tension once and for all.

"This is the dance hold, remember it."

Then he turned me around and opened the door to the jewelry cabinet, moving me in front of the mirror.

"Take the dance hold." he whispered from behind.

His hands found my hips, in the mirror, I could see his head was down. I didn't want to think that he was looking at my ass but that's really where his eyes were.

"Back straight, keep your breathing relaxed. Keep your eyes up and I will guide you. Weight on the left and bring the right back, bring the left over."

I did as he said, our movement was so fluid and easy.

"Weight on the right and forward with the left, bring the right over."

When I had done it he spun me around. I gasped with the movement, finding myself in the dance hold before I could even stop to think about it. Over and over again we moved through the same pattern, dancing to the music with a tempo that didn't seem right.

"Head up Sarah, learn to trust your partner and your feet."

The song ended and Anton took my hand and kissed it on the knuckles. Was this all that the man was going to offer me? I certainly hope not.

"Exceptional." he smiled with his offer. "Now it is closing time for the shop, jacket back on and we will go and see how they went."

I turned the music off and let him put my jacket on me again, feeling the heat burn from the touch of his skin against mine.

Anton led me across the cold street to the shop that had a few patrons still hanging around as they drank their coffees. Delano was behind her counter, offering us a nod as we entered.

"All monies are in the office. We are officially closed except for the few patrons who are just about ready to leave."

"Thank you."

I wandered into my poky office which was as big as my closet in the apartment. The money was counted and bundled in its denominations, placed in a bag with a list of everything that was ordered along with the till print out.

"You will find this kind of information handy for assessing what works and what doesn't."

Anton moved closer to me, one hand slid across the small of my back while the other flicked through the notes.

"That's a mighty fine stack you've got there Sarah."

I could feel my insides liquefy, I looked up at him and wished I had the courage to be the one that took that first step. But I didn't, I could barely speak.

We were at the back of the store room, alone in a poorly lit area yet all I could do was nod.

"Master," Igor called from the kitchen.

Anton turned away and I sagged against the wall, unable to keep myself upright. When I composed myself I stuffed the money into my bag and walked out to the kitchen.

"We were just discussing the nightly procedures. If I happen to be detained then Igor will deliver you to your door and ensure that you are not robbed. How does that sound?"

"Great." I offered with little conviction.

What could detain Anton if we were having dinner every night? Somewhere in the depths of my mind, I knew he was planning on life after the wedding. Where he wouldn't be around. That thought sucked just a little. Or maybe a whole lot.

Once everything was tidied and the shop was closed, Anton walked me to my door. My mind rattled with thoughts. Do I invite him in, maybe for coffee? Or maybe suggest that he stays to find out how much money the shop has taken in? Surely he'd like to know that.

I pushed the key into the lock and turned it, opening the door. Taking a deep breath I rallied the internal troops to be strong.

"Did you want to come in? I can count the money and then you can gloat at how smart you are."

Anton chuckled and nodded. Over the first hurdle and racing to the next one.

As he hung our jackets I walked into the kitchen and cleaned off the largest of the benches, moving the vase to the far end of the small room. I pulled out the bag and its contents, Anton took the list of items ordered as I set out the notes in their denominations.

"Based on rough figures, I think you will find that sixty percent of your take today consisted of the cake and coffee deal."

Once I had stacked all of the notes into their piles Anton looked over the piece of paper with a frown.

"You know, being a cash only business isn't always wise. All this money sitting here with you and you're without a safe or even a decent lock on your door."

"So I'll do something about it tomorrow."

Anton said nothing as he returned to the document.

Ten minutes of counting the notes and writing everything down I had a rough figure. There was too much coinage to be worrying about that. I set aside the float for the cash register and had an end figure.

"Five."

Anton looked up at me with a little confusion.

"Sorry?"

"Five, just over five grand without the coins. So go on, get gloating."

There was no gloating, not even a word was said. He simply smiled and picked up the rubber bands, winding them around the stacks of money.

"There is a safe in your bathroom cupboard. Memorize the combination."

I took the money and put it in the safe that like so many things in this apartment had only appeared today. The combination was several digits long.

"I am never going to remember this," I muttered under my breath.

As I shut the door the harsh reality of today sank in. The restaurant was profitable, Anton had proved it. Now all I had to do was continue it once he pulled away from my life.