Shadow of Death: Chapter 24: Sarah

Twilight was a beautiful time of the day in the underworld. The majority of the crows have settled, the dragons are in their beds, and Cerberus was on his bed, snoring louder than I'd ever heard before. A dull red shone over the land, the sun lowering to the horizon and casting a low sheen over everything before it.

There was something in the air, a sense of pure happiness that burned hard within me. I had been standing on the balcony earlier as Anton tended to Brannon. The land was thriving, the demons were happy, and life was good. I had taken a deep breath and felt amazing. Amazing might not have been sufficient, maybe invincible was more accurate. I felt incredible, something that I don't think I have ever felt.

I could hear Brannon gurgling in his bed, playing with the hanging toy that held his fascination far more than any other toy. It was a small mobile that consisted of five crows that looked like they were flying around in a circle. I don't know where Igor found it, Anton instantly loved it, and I had to say, I was pretty impressed with the gift.

Many things had arrived for Brannon; he would never go without. It was a little crazy, but there was a lot of people that wanted to offer their congratulations. If I were to think a little negatively, I could believe that they wanted to find favor with Anton. I should think negatively, who wouldn't want to find favor with the devil? If there were anyone that would be ideal to bribe, then it would be him. The possible outcomes that could happen would be endless, and it was likely to be good if they made him a happy man.

And that happy man was beside me, trailing his fingers over my bare skin and enjoying being in my arms again. The man that was all about temptation, deviation of the mind and the body was subdued now, insistent that while my body was better, we still weren't going there just yet. I had a sneaking suspicion that he had decided to wait until our wedding night.

Everything for the wedding was ready, and even though it was such short notice, everyone had responded and were coming. That was including Gabriel and Michael. A few more deities were coming as well, names that seemed familiar to me but I could not place. I'd tuned out of Sunday school, not interested in what the cranky old woman had to say. The view out the window was far better; it was the playground at the park. I would sit and daydream about being out there rather than listening to a rusty windbag tell me that I was going to hell. Who would have thought she was actually right?

Anton kissed me gently as we laid in bed. We were going to take it easy, but I didn't think that I had the ability to stop. I always had an uncontrollable urge to keep going with him, that little amount was never enough. This wasn't going to stop at just a little heavy petting.

"Am I going to get pregnant again?"

"No, because we're not having sex."

"Anton, be realistic." I chided.

"Okay, so no. You won't get pregnant for a few years. Deities have really long spaces between children, and yes you are classed as one for the purposes of this conversation."

Oh. I guess that was okay I guess. Maybe good in a way, I suppose. I didn't have to worry about birth control or getting pregnant; we'd just plod along until the next one decided he or she was ready to join us.

But what was the definition of long spaces? Was it a couple of years or a couple of hundred years? I couldn't handle a couple of hundred, that would be ridiculous.

"So what's a few years?"

Anton looked up at me with a wry smile.

"Eager to get the next one going, my love?"

"Just curious I suppose."

"It could be as early as two years."

"But how late could it be?"

He shrugged. "Somewhere between five to ten. So how many children are we having my lovely wife?"

"One every two to five years, end date unknown."

"That's a lot of children Sarah, are you sure about those numbers?"

I nodded brightly. "Lots of them and they're going to be equally loved."

Anton offered what looked like a forced smile.

"Am I projecting my own pain onto our children?"

He nodded and lifted his body up onto his hand, trailing his other hand down my body.

"I can offer a solution, it's a little dark, but you will find solace at the end of it."

"I am intrigued, that's a pretty big call, Anton."

"It is but for now we won't speak of it, I have to get something before we can continue. And besides, you're only half naked in our bed, that is entirely too much."

I chuckled as he slipped his fingers under the lace, slipping it down my legs.

"I must say, Sarah, I think that we have chosen a date that is too far away."

"The day after tomorrow is too far away?"

He nodded as he settled onto his stomach, kissing along my inner thigh.

"I'd like for it to be tonight."

"So would I but we are already married."

Soft kisses were placed over my skin as he rose higher on my thigh, a playful smirk sliding over me as he looked up at me.

"You know it's traditional that the bride and groom do not see each other the day of the wedding."

"Baby I am not waking up anywhere other than in your arms and after a morning of making sure you know who rocks your world I might let you go to get ready."

"So no tradition then?"

He shook his head right before dipping it into my body, ensuring that I knew that he rocked my world.