Shadow of Death: Chapter 7: Anton

Nicolas looked at me rather confused, turning to Rowan who was just as shocked.

"I don't understand; it was a lifetime deal."

"Yes, and it is filled with lots of clauses Nicolas. What I do, I do for you and your safety, for your children and as always, with the best interest of all at heart."

"So we won't be demons anymore, just vampires again?"

I nodded, trying to smile as warmly as I could and refrain from showing the pain.

"And we won't be indebted to you, at all?"

"That's right." I offered.

"But we won't be able to come here anymore, will we?"

"Not until I unlock the gates again, no."

Nicolas and Rowan looked at each other.

"I don't understand."

"I have a duty of care Nicolas; it states in the contract that if a demon is bound to a minor within their care, I must ensure that the demon is always in a fit state to care for said minor. You have four minors within your care, even if there was only Castian and one child, I would still have to release you both. I cannot foresee what will come of the future now that I am no longer reaping souls. Therefore, I cannot ensure your safety. Think of it as a bonus Nicolas, you have both made a deal with the devil, and you now get to walk away. The contract has been fulfilled, and you are released with my happiness. Now, a few little things to tidy up before you go. Firstly, send Martine to Faelen to birth her children, she has one week before I will end all doves flying out. Secondly, be ready for the world to know about vampires, death will not come to those who should die by a vampire's hand. And finally, goodbye. It maybe a month, it maybe a year or it may never be though I hope that it is not the case. You have served your master well, even if the time was short."

As I pushed open the gate, I felt the heaviness swell around my heart, feeling the lines of their lives detach from me.

"Within twenty-four hours you will be vampires again, I wish you both luck with the future and look forward to the day when we see each other again."

"As do we my lord."

I smiled, even if it pained me to do so.

"I am Anton now Nicolas; you are not bound to me anymore."

He nodded even if there was a lot of disbelief in his eyes. I could see the darkness pulling away from the edges, slowly returning to the green that they had once been.

"Farewell friends, make sure you stop by when the gates are open again."

Rowan was hugging me before I knew it, her arms wrapped around my waist and squeezing the life out of me. She pulled away with a faint tinge to her cheeks.

"Thank you for saving Castian and for everything that you've done for us."

"It has been my pleasure, Rowan. Now go, live your lives and love your children."

They walked into the darkness of the gate; I waited until the other side was open for them before I sealed both ends shut.

I'd just sent my right hand away for his safety, following the rules that I was always expected to adhere to. This was why demons didn't have children; I'd made the exception with Nicolas and Rowan because I felt like breaking the rules and now I was suffering for it. The bond was gone, the line was broken. They were not demons anymore.

I took a long and slow walk back to the castle, Cerberus was by my side for the entire time. He could feel the loss as much as I could. No longer could he go and see Castian, no longer could he annoy Nicolas.

"It sucks, doesn't it?"

Cerberus whined as he looked up at me.

If I could find consolation anywhere, it would be in Sarah's waiting arms. She'd fed Brannon who was asleep, fed and happy. He was now a day old, already settled into a routine of feeding every few hours. It was the same over and over again, sleep, wake, feed, diaper change, a little play and off to sleep again.

Sarah was sitting in the lounge room, resting while she could. Did I dare wake her? With all that she had said to me about my slowing affection, I knew that even though I didn't want to, I had to. I had to show her that I still adored her.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she offered me a sleepy smile.

"Hey, why the long face?"

"Tell you later, for now; I need to misbehave with my wife."

"And how much misbehaving do you intend on?"

"Enough to piss you off for turning you on," I said with a naughty smile. "And then I'll roll over and go to sleep."

She chuckled and stood, following me into the bedroom. I looked down at Brannon as I pushed his crib into the next room, watching as he yawned.

"This is not the time to wake up young man, back to sleep with you."

Defiantly he looked at me, but not a peep was heard.

"He takes after his father," Sarah said cheekily.

I chuckled with a nod, pulling her into my arms.

"You will tell me when it becomes uncomfortable, won't you?"

"Yes Anton, it's not as if we're able to have sex."

"I know but your body is still tender, and my weight may become unbearable for you, I would like to know that you will tell me if that is the case."

She nodded and pulled her dress down, letting it fall to her feet. I looked upon her with more need than I have ever felt, it was going to be difficult to stop.

I rounded her, wanting to remove her bra at least. Slowly it fell, gliding down Sarah's body as my fingers pulled it down. It seemed like a week since I had undressed her, yet it hadn't been that long.

Sarah was in a better frame of mind now, not so weepy and a little happier. Though she was frowning at me a lot, which I knew had to do with my intentions for the future. She was new to this world; I could understand that she didn't know how it worked. I was the devil, and the devil does not play nice. Though to be fair, she'd only ever seen my soft side so it was natural that she couldn't comprehend that I wanted to make life a misery for those who wore white wings.