Tempt the Devil: Chapter 12: Sarah

At five pm I wandered across the street, leaving the restaurant in the capable hands of Anton's staff and Igor. I didn't notice anything untoward as I walked into the apartment, it wasn't until I turned the corner and saw the newest addition. In my studio apartment that held a bed and television in the main section, there were racks upon racks of clothes.

One dress hung on the door to the bathroom, a tag swung from the hanger.

Clothes and accessories as requested by the master.

My bed had been shifted closer to the television, now it sat halfway across the room. Boxes were stacked along one wall, several rows high with a folded card sitting on top of it. The first one said black, the next said nude. I lifted the lid under the black one and saw black shoes.

"Huh," I grunted, a little shocked.

The racks were in rows that sat to the side of the room, I walked around them to the wall that was beside the door to my bathroom and opened the cabinet door. It wasn't mine, I'd never seen it before. The wood looked like a cherry stain maybe it was even cherry wood. I ran my fingers over the grain, inlaid with carvings of flowers, leaves, and vines.

It was tall and wide but barely a hand's width in depth. I pulled the doors open and gasped at the contents. The whole back wall was necklaces. Some looked like they were worth a small fortune, others looked like they were mid-range in cost.

One door had a mirror that covered it entirely, the other had drawers of varying sizes. I pulled a long one open first, seeing the entire length filled with rings. The next few were similar, another draw of rings and then earrings. Draws of delicate bracelets and then hard ones.

With a heavy sigh, I closed the doors and turned to the room, noticing another row of boxes along the front wall. It was hidden from view because of the clothes. Walking to the first of the stacks, I saw another card that said black again. Narrowing my eyes at the box, I lifted the lid and pulled away the tissue paper. A black bag sat in the box, a designer handbag that would have probably cost as much as my entire wardrobe. And furniture. Maybe everything in my apartment.

"Is it to your liking?"

I shrieked as I turned around, pressing myself against the wall. Boxes tumbled around my feet as I stared at the woman.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Rowan." she said with a smile, "Master asked me to get you these things. Are they to your liking?"

"Uh, yeah. I suppose. Though I think that too much money has been spent here."

She nodded and ran her fingers over the sleeve of a jacket.

"Shopping boosts the economy. Surely you cannot fault master for wanting to ensure a healthy economy, can you?"

"I guess not."

Her eyes flashed with a rich red, similar to Anton's. His was a darker shade of red, Rowan's was a real ruby coloring.

"How long have you been a demon for?"

"A few weeks now."

"And you did it to... you know." I gestured to her stomach. "Why?"

"I gave my life to create another with a man that I love. It was a risk that we might not have been able to but he was worth that risk. Master treats us well, I am grateful for his compassion. I look forward to seeing you at my wedding Sarah."

She disappeared into the air around us before I could ask any more questions. I suspect that it was intentional, maybe Anton didn't like demons that talked too much.

I decided that the dress hanging on the door was ideal for tonight, a creamy white dress with black flowers along one side of it.

By the time I had dressed and found the extra things that Rowan had hidden on my dressing table, it was already six o'clock. I fumbled my way through the boxes of makeup, wishing I had seen them before I decided to laze in the tub.

I'd waxed myself to the very limit. It was rather unnecessary at the moment but yes, I'd gone there. Anton hadn't shown much in the way of affection, the most that I'd got from him was the chaste kiss on my knuckles earlier. But a girl could dream. Then again, I'd known him for a day. Jumping into bed with him so soon probably wasn't the wisest thing to do and of course, I couldn't anyway. He was the devil, was I truly contemplating having sex with him? I was mad.

A knock on the door made me jump with fright, I looked at myself in the mirror and quickly finished what I was doing. This would have to do.

I put on the pumps and grabbed my bag and coat, rushing to the door and nearly tripped on the rug in the process. Forcing myself to stop and calm down before I hurt myself, I walked the remainder of the way to the door.

Anton smiled at me as the door swung open, his gaze lingering down the dress.

"Very nice."

"Thanks." I gushed with a smile. "You're looking sharp as always."

Another suit, completely different to what he was wearing earlier. It did not surprise me in the slightest. He probably owned a suit for every day of the year.

"Thank you."

His hand moved out with a twist, bare before and now with a single stem rose.

"One to add to the collection."

"Uh, okay. Thank you."

I took it from him and turned to find a vase, gasping at what was on the kitchen bench. A crystal vase sat in the center, filled with red roses.

"You are too much, did you know that?"

Anton smiled but said nothing, taking my coat from me as I put the rose into the vase. He helped me into the coat, his fingers taking the smallest of touches on my neck. The warmth resonated through me, pushing deep down my neck and across my shoulders.

His hand took mine and turned me around.

"I have something to show you."

I grabbed my keys and followed him out of the apartment. As I closed the door my elderly neighbor came out at the same time.

"Hello, Sarah." Mister Ford waved as he reached the stairs.

"Hello."

We waited until he ambled his way down the stairs, Anton watching his every move.

"Do you know when someone is going to die?"

"No thankfully. I don't think I would like to know that."

I took his hand as we walked down the stairs, pushing through the main door was like stepping into a freezer.

We stopped on the pavement and looked across the road to the busy shop.

"That is the early bird sitting, completely packed. There is another sitting in about an hour and a half and another one later in the evening."

I stared at the view of the people eating, talking and some of them were laughing. It was a restaurant filled with merry people. As I looked at Anton I wondered when the bubble would burst.