Playing with Fire: Chapter 11: Anton

Sarah looked back at the island paradise that had been our afternoon of love. Her face became forlorn as she turned to the other side of the door that was the view of the keep.

"We can return at any time, Sarah."

She nodded and walked into the small corridor, watching as I closed the door.

"I just keep thinking about Monday," she said sadly.

"I know."

As we walked through the corridor, I banged on each of the doors to let them know that their time was ending. We sat in the main bar area, huddled back into our little corner.

"I don't understand how come you let these people rule your life. In Sunday school I was taught that the devil answered to no one."

"There was a time when it was like that," I said rather wistfully. "The world was smaller then, there were fewer people around. Each day a list would arrive for those who would die within twenty-four hours and usually it was only an arms width in length. I would send the reaper on his way with the list and he would return with each of the dearly departed for me to deal with. It was a system that worked well until the list became too long for the reaper to do within the allotted time. I wanted to help him but I could not leave the underworld, it was vastly different to the way that it is today and if I happened to leave then it would cause problems. So I had a demon help him, together they split the list and went on their way. Little did I realise that the demon was a little psychotic to begin with."

Sarah fidgeted in her seat, looking up as William and Eliria returned to the room. They sat at their end of the long lounge, reclining back into it with a look of being thoroughly sated.

"When the reaper would return with one soul, the demon would return with two or three. I thought he was just efficient until I looked at the list. These people were not on the list and before I could question the demon, he was gone again. Before me was a dozen or so souls that had been harvested before their time and a crazy demon that was running around on the surface, killing the innocent. I sent the reaper after him, leaving the list until the issue was dealt with. He was caught, not before more souls ended up in the underworld. Such efforts do not go unnoticed by others and word spread of the incident. Claims of inefficiency and inability were rampant so those that could do something, did just that. They put together a committee that represented all of the dimensions, their roles were to oversee all of the deities in all seven of the dimensions. They are supposed to be unbiased, unreachable and beyond the touch of greed but it is a lie. Those that are in at the moment are nothing but a waste of money. They are paid to be in office and represent all that their forefathers held as ideals but they do nothing more than make life a misery for those beneath them."

Eliria moved closer, leaning side on to the lounge as she looked at me.

"Now you know that there are some that are still true and good Anton. There might be corruption in their ranks but it does not mean that all have been affected."

"I know that you are referring to the councilor for your world Eliria and I also know that he is not one of them. You will be pleased to learn that he has, in fact, passed the test."

She looked at me a little perplexed.

"What have you done?"

"I've had my demons watching each of the members. After what has happened at your house I cannot help but find so many pieces that connect the council with your issues. I have goals Eliria, I want things and I will do everything within my power to get what I want."

"And what is it that you want?"

I turned to Sarah, offering a smile.

"All in good time, my love. Things have to be done in a certain order or it will not work."

She frowned, looking like she was about to say something.

"Trust me, if this works then you will be very happy, I promise."

Sarah nodded, I could see there was a lot of hesitation in her eyes.

"You look rather tired, did you want to retire for the evening?"

A soft pink-tinged over her cheeks with the tiniest of smirks curling into her red lips.

"Maybe," she whispered.

"I think so, such a big day ahead of us tomorrow. No doubt Rowan and Nicolas will be looking for their beds soon as well."

I stood from the lounge and took her hands, turning to William and Eliria.

"The rooms will remain as is for approximately half an hour after I have left. If you do not wish to see them as they are at the moment, I would suggest to you that you encourage them to leave the rooms. Sleep well."

"And you too." William grinned.

Leading Sarah out of the room, I quickly moved us down the stairs and through the oak room that was still filled with too many vampires. I'd never seen so many of them which made me wonder if there was a family that was creating too many of them. It was more likely that there were a few rogue vampires running around the place, feeding in an incorrect way and turning their victims to continue the feeding. Doing it that way, the vampire was able to have a feeder without the rules that were associated with them. It was a loophole that was being abused.

Back in the quiet of the corridors, Sarah wrapped her arms around my waist as we strolled back to our room.

"When's your birthday?"

"I was never born Sarah, I don't have one."

"Well, that sucks. How about today?"

I grinned with a slight chuckle, nodding to her question.

"Sure, that's fine. What did you get me?"

"Nothing, totally unprepared. I am such a bad girlfriend." she offered cheekily. "However, I could make it up to you. Does this place have room service?"

"I guess so."

She nodded and said nothing more. Whatever it was that she was planning made her smile and giggle. This was going to be interesting.