Playing with Fire: Chapter 22: Sarah

The soft patter of a voice echoed from the bathroom, I tiptoed to the door and listened.

"She doesn't know and I would like to keep it that way for the time being. I do not like to keep secrets from her but in this instance it is necessary. Everything has to be perfect tomorrow or the plan will fail."

Anton was warmongering about tomorrow again. I was about to move to the kitchen and make a coffee when someone pressed the buzzer for the door. My body froze and as the bathroom door opened I looked at Anton. He shook his head, quietly indicating that I was not to answer the door.

Then my house phone rang and I looked at the open window and felt the dread. The answering machine picked it up and the dread became worse.

"Sarah." my bitch of a sister called out.

The shrill of her voice echoed through the apartment.

"Are you home? I'm at the door. Ooh, thank you." she said sweetly.

I heard the sound of the door clunking closed, I looked at Anton.

"Your sweetie neighbor let me in, he's such a doll."

I rolled my eyes, Anton grinned.

"Are you home, I hope you're not avoiding me."

Of course I am, mostly because I hate you and I've got enough nonsense in my life without you adding to it.

"Open the door, Sarah. I saw the window and I know you're home."

Shit. Anton looked at the ceiling with defeat and then his eyes met mine, a wicked grin crossing his face.

He ruffled my hair a little and then moved to the bed, messing the sheets. After divesting us of everything except a shirt and pants for him and my dress for me, he looked around the room.

The cow knocked on the door.

"Open up."

Anton grinned and walked me backward to the bed, making me sit down. He then turned, undoing a few buttons and walked over to the door. Slowly he opened it and peered through the gap.

"Yeah?"

"Who are you?"

The phone disconnected from the answering machine as Anton left the question unanswered.

"You first."

"I'm Allison, Sarah's sister. Is she here?"

"Yeah, we're kind of busy at the moment. Come back later."

He went to push the door shut but the thing pushed on the door and moved him out of the way. She walked in with so much attitude it wasn't funny. The designer handbag was hanging on the arm, pumps that looked way too high and a tight black dress that covered the nearly orange spray tan. Hard to believe that we were related.

"I see you're still living in a shoebox for an apartment."

She paused and looked around the room, frowning at the racks of clothing and me looking rather disheveled. Or maybe it was the just rolled out of bed look.

Having been subjected to Anton's quiet movements, I knew how his sneak attacks could create some serious shock. I watched as he moved with stealth across the floor, never making a sound. He was like one of the big cats stalking its prey, his eyes pinned to the back of her as he moved with fluid grace.

"Is there a reason you've turned up unannounced?"

Allison shrieked and clutched at her chest, turning to look at Anton.