Playing with Fire: Chapter 28: Sarah

Hello my lovely readers!

This chapter has a super awesome song attached to it by one of my favorite bands. If you haven't heard of The Rasmus then do yourself a favor and check them out!

No Fear

Girl,
You lived your life like a sleeping swan
Your time has come
To go deeper

Girl,
Your final journey has just begun
Your destiny chose the reaper

No Fear
Destination Darkness
No Fear
Destination Darkness
No Fear

Girl
The rain falls down from the northern skies
Like poisoned knives
With no mercy

Girl
Close your eyes for the one last time
Sleepless nights
From here to eternity

No Fear
Destination Darkness
No Fear
Destination Darkness
No Fear

Writer(s): Pauli Rantasalmi, Eero Heinonen, Lauri Yloenen, Aki Hakala
Copyright: Grotto Entertainment Oy, Boneless-skeletor Oy

~~*~~*~~*~~* ~~*~~* ~~*~~

The painful after-effects were subsiding slowly as I laid in the warm waters of the unknown. I still had no idea where I was. The warm waters gently rocked against my body. It was dark, I could barely see a thing as I floated in the nothing of wherever I was.

Light began to shine brightly in the distance when I turned my head I could see what looked like a sun appearing between the v of two mountains. Lifting my head I realized that I was floating in something warm like water, salty water. It was shallow too, really shallow. I sat up, instantly finding myself sitting on the sand in the warm water.

Wet hair draped around me, I was still in the hospital gown that clung to my body. As I looked around at the land that was emerging in the new light I saw the vast mountain ranges that surrounded the lake that I was sitting in.

A dove flew past me, continuing to the light. I stood, my legs shaking as I lifted from the sandy ground. Lifting my foot I was about to follow the dove when a crow cawed. I turned and saw the bird sitting on the branch of a tree.

For a moment I stared at the bird, it didn't seem right. I walked closer to it, slowly so as not to scare it off. It didn't move, instead, it remained on the branch and kept an eye on me. A red eye.

I didn't know much about crows but I doubted they had red eyes.

"Are you a demon bird?"

The crow cawed again.

"Am I in hell?"

It did not caw at me, instead, it turned its head to a path that seemed treacherous. Dark trees hung over the leaf-littered trail. It seemed to be dangerous but something inside of me said that it was my path, that following the dove was not for me.

"Will you help me?" I asked as I stopped at the beginning of the path.

I held out my hand and waited with hope, the bird flew to me and rested upon my wrist. It cawed again, its head firmly pointed to the path.

"Yes, I understand," I said as I stepped forward.

My eyes opened to the view of a white wall, bland and boring. I rolled over and looked at Rowan who was sitting on a rather plush looking lounge, flicking through a magazine.

"Relax Sarah, all is well."

"Where is Anton?"

"Making good on his promise to you."

"Take me to him, please?"

She tilted her head with a sympathetic smile.

"Now what kind of a friend would I be to allow you to walk on unsteady feet?"

"Please Rowan, our time together is so short."

Rowan smiled at me in a way that made me realize that the time that I had with Anton was not short and that I should have more faith in him. Faith and believing in the devil was the exact opposite of everything that I had been taught. My life was so bizarre.

"How's your head?"

"Like I've been hit by a freight train." I groaned. "Are we still at the chambers?"

I looked around and saw the same white walls, instantly answering my question. What was it with these people and white things? Anton's apartment was colored in white and tones of white. Was it a symbol of purity and if that was the case, why did the devil want to seem pure? Maybe he didn't know how to color coordinate.

"We are." Rowan offered as she cast the magazine aside.

I sat up, Rowan rushed to me. She helped me sit up, the pain swelled in my brain and thumped a heavy beat. Pulsating the pain in waves through my body, it was barely tolerable.

"Take it easy Sarah, you shouldn't even be sitting up."

"I know, I read the book. Lay down, rest and sleep. I don't have time for that, I have to know what is going on."

She shook her head with a wry smile as she helped me move my legs on the bed.

"Can you feel your toes yet?"

I gave them a wriggle and watched the little beasts move.

"I like your ring."

"Thanks." I grinned at her as she looked at it. "My sister turned up yesterday afternoon, I think Anton was being a little excessive and trying to outdo the engagement ring on her hand. He thinks that I didn't see it."

She looked at me curiously.

"We don't get along. She was the apple of my parent's eye and they thought that I was a waste of space."

Rowan's mouth hung open in shock, she closed it with a frown and helped me to my feet.

"Sorry to hear that Sarah, I can't say as I understand why they would think that. I think you are pretty awesome. Parents are supposed to support their children, not hinder them."

I nodded, unable to offer an answer as to why my parents treated me as they had.

"There we go, how's that?"

My head was swaying but I was standing, it was going well.

"Great. Where are my clothes, it's kind of cold and breezy."

Rowan grinned as she helped me back to the bed, handing me my clothes.

"Will you be okay, can I help?"

"Settle down momma bear, this little cub is a-okay for dressing."

"Sorry." She said with a grin. "They said I had to be super helpful to you because you'd be drowsy and unable to do things for a few hours."

I was drowsy, I was tired but I wasn't going to lay here and do nothing. Once I was dressed, Rowan helped me to my feet again. She was patient and assisted me all the way to the council chambers where we slipped into the room.

We waited at the back in the darkness, watching as Anton walked the floor and commanded their attention. He was destroying their world for what they had done to us and of course, Nick and Rowan.

As I watched Anton, I realized that there was no doubt in my mind as to how much I loved him. I had suffered a pain that was immeasurable, hallucinated my worst fears and I had survived. Everything that I had gone through was worth it if I had an eternity with him.