Queen of Hell: Chapter 7: Anton

Igor walked out of the kitchen with two plates, putting them in front of us.

"I am not fool, toast is not sufficient, my lord."

Then the brute turned and walked away, leaving us rather stunned.

"It's like he knows that his master is up to no good," I said dryly as I picked up the cutlery. "Waging a war in secret does create a ravenous hunger Sarah, do eat up."

"You have a plan?"

"I have thoughts of what I need to do, a plan? No."

"You mentioned a room in the castle, do you need to get into it?"

I nodded as I took a sip of the coffee.

"And is it easy to get into, avoiding detection?"

"Eat," I said with a frown, tipping my head at my plate.

Reluctantly she began to eat, I knew she had questions and I wanted to answer them but we both needed sustenance for the day ahead.

"It depends on what kind of friends Michael has brought with him. Or maybe I should say, how many friends he has. If he has brought a battalion in then it is likely that he has sent a few of the troops off to watch over the palace."

I grinned as I looked out the window, thoughts of what we needed to do filled my mind.

"I know you are not one for pretty clothes Sarah but I do happen to note that even though you prefer jeans and shirts you always looking rather beautiful."

"Uh, thanks?"

"Are you adverse to getting a little dirty?"

Cautiously she leaned back in her chair, the cutlery resting on the edge of the plate.

"Dirty as in muck, grubbiness and nasty things?"

"Very much so. Few duties to do first and then we can get going."

Pausing for a moment I thought of what I needed to do. Prioritizing had to be done, preparations had to be made.

"It may be that someone will need to pack your possessions, is that alright?"

"Yes."

"And if we are successful and you could come and go as you pleased, would you still want to live here and own this shop?"

Sarah shrugged, looking at the meal a little gloomily.

"I worry about my ability to hide from those that would look at me and say that my youthful looks are impossible."

"If there was a solution to your problem that would see you continue as the owner, would you take it?"

"I suppose so."

A shadow loomed over us, I turned to see Igor had come as requested.

"My lord?"

"Igor, please sit for a moment."

He pulled a chair and sat at the table looking rather uncomfortable.

"I change my mind, my lord, I do not care for sun color. I go where my master commands."

"I know Igor, we would all like to stroll under the yellow sun whenever we want to and I hope that it does not change. We need to be successful in what happens from now on. The restaurant must continue on as usual in case someone is watching the place. For your service, Sarah would offer something of great value to all of us in coming years. She wishes to retain the restaurant but fears that her youthful looks will expose us. I was thinking of a rotation system between the two of you, one always on show to the world and the two of you always behind the scenes. Of course, this is dependent on how things go with the little pest that is trying to make life difficult."

Igor nodded as he turned to look at Sarah.

"I would be honored to help my lady and my boss with whatever she asks. Always good to Igor and he appreciates it immensely. I stay and ensure all looks good for little spies on the street. You see my lord?"

"I do Igor, I wasn't sure at first but now that you have confirmed it."

Sarah frowned and took a casual look out the street.

"What am I looking for?" she murmured into her coffee mug.

"The young fellow walking the dog. You are only new to this world so your abilities are not tuned as yet. If they were you would see that the jacket the fellow is wearing isn't a standard jacket to be found in a store. It hides all manner of things and insulates his body from the cold."

Sarah frowned at me like I'd told her something utterly ridiculous.

"It's not that cold out there."

"Angels are not used to anything less than a pleasant tropical climate. To them, it is freezing."

I leaned closer to Igor, taking a glance to the fellow who was trying to watch but pretend that he was walking the dog.

"I want them to think that I am involving you. I want them to follow you."

Igor nodded with a supreme smile.

"Is good, throw them off the scent. They know Igor is loyal after run in with Michael this morning."

"Yes." I hummed derisively. "It's a shame I can't throw the little beast into the pit."

Sarah placed her empty cup on the table and leaned back.

"Maybe I could sell my soul for it, would that work my love?"

I stared blankly for a brief moment, wondering where my dainty little Sarah had gone. The darkness was slipping into her more and more, I could only hope that marriage would settle it down. I'd heard this could be an issue, it was like a cell in her body. With each passing moment, the cell would split and grow, creating a darkness within. It was slow and there was always a certain amount of time to be had but given the rising issues, I wondered if the growth had become a little more rapid. The only thing that would stop it was position in the underworld. Taking her place at my side and becoming the queen of hell would give her the official placement that was needed to abate the unsettled and rising darkness.

"I've never been asked to throw an angel into the pit. Somehow I think I might get into trouble for it. Everyone likes the prat even if he is a little self-centered."

"So that's a no to the deal then?" She asked cheekily.

"I am so sorry my love, but no, I cannot throw Michael into the pit for you."