Tempt the Devil: Chapter 17: Anton

Sarah fitted all of the requirements that my kind had for becoming what was known as an immortal human. She would be human, always the same and she would never change. All that altered was her life expectancy. It would go from a top of a hundred with the best of circumstances to a never ending life. A life that would see the future and all of the wonders and possibilities that might be. Her body would freeze in time, never altering and never ageing. She would remain young forever.

This sudden thought was triggered by a yearning on my part, a sudden need to find a kindred soul. I had been warned that it would happen but I was not told when. No one knew, no one wanted to know. The anticipation was the thrill of it. I was also warned to be wary of the new found need, to be careful of who I chose because not everyone was worthy of ridding the shackles of their mortal life.

My kindred soul had to have empathy for life but understand that not all could be saved. Sarah could do that, she accepted that there were some people that were born to die and it was that simple. But she wasn't prepared to sit back and do nothing. Instead, she decided that she would take all that she could and alter her world for the better.

She understood that I could not help her directly but in my own subtle way, I could give to her and fund her charity work on the sly. She was a smart cookie and I reveled in her love for her fellow man.

"You know what I'm going to do." she said abruptly "I'm going to get your demon helpers to do another flyer hand out, telling everyone that there's going to be an auction at the shop. I'm going to charge them to get in but give free food and maybe a glass of champagne. Then I'm going to auction the items. And I'm going to hit them up again as they're walking out the door, telling them it will make them feel better to know they're donating to charities. Everyone loves to donate."

"Makes them feel better about themselves."

Sarah nodded, looking down into her empty glass. I took the bottle and two glasses, Sarah looked a little sad.

"Are you leaving now?"

"I don't have to if you don't want to or I can if you are tired. What would you like to do?"

"Lay down with you."

"Alright then. Let me dispose of these things and we will stretch out upon the bed."

I wandered into the kitchen, thinking about how easy the words came from her lips when she was a little inebriated. When I turned back she was already laying down. Her shoes had been kicked off and left to where they had fallen. With a slight chuckle, I wandered over, pulling the skirt down her legs. She wasn't indecent, just a little too high for this man who had consumed too much wine tonight.

Hands might wander. Lips might follow. And even though I dared not think of such thoughts so early on, another thing might follow as well. And for reasons that I was yet to tell Sarah, it wasn't wise.

I loosened my tie with a soft sigh, looking upon the beauty on the bed. This was not an unreasonable request yet my inner workings were screaming at me that I was far too overdressed for the bed.

Worse yet, she was still in the dress. I wanted to peel it from her, to view the skin below it and caress the soft, powdery skin. That aside, I knew she would fall asleep and probably would want for something more comfortable.

"Sarah, do you want to change into something more suited for bed?"

Her eyes opened and looked at me, her cheeks flushed with a pink.

"I uh, can't."

"Can't get into your bed clothes? I don't understand."

"Oh, never mind."

She moved over the bed, getting to the edge and standing with caution.

"Do you need help with standing, is that why you can't change your clothes?"

"No Anton, it's fine. Forget I said it."

I sat on the bed rather perplexed as she crossed the room to the bathroom. The door closed and I undid the buttons on my sleeves, going over the past few seconds.

I asked her if she wanted to change into something more suited for bed and she said that she can't. The realization hit me like someone had smacked me across the head with a bat. I was an idiot.

No, I was a man that had lived an eternity as a single man that interacted with women who were not human and didn't have the ability to breed.

Sarah was giving me so many new experiences and secretly, I think that I loved each and every one of them. The concept that I was definitely not getting sex was interesting.

She emerged a few minutes later with a mighty big frown.

"The night that I followed you, I was back here when I woke. Did you bring me back?"

Oh boy. Maybe the happy bliss filled bubble was about to burst.

"I did."

"I was in my pajamas. How did you do that?"

Well, do I lie and say my special ability that allowed me to get her from one outfit to the next without seeing a single thing or do I tell her the truth and say that I had a great time checking her out?

"You bastard." she hissed. "Did you get a feel in while you were at it?"

Burst out everywhere, flooding the floors with the death of what had been so perfect.

"I did not touch you unnecessarily nor anywhere of an intimate nature."

"But you had a good look, right?"

How could I not? You are incredible. Far better than I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

"I am sorry Sarah. I did all that I could to avoid the situation but I didn't want to leave you in uncomfortable clothes. If I have wronged you then I will go."

I stood and grabbed my things, walking to the door.

"Wait."

Her hand tugged on mine, stopping me from leaving.

"I am upset Anton but it doesn't mean I want you to leave. I'm just upset because I wasn't coherent for it. You know that when it was our time then that would be when you saw me, not because you'd put some sleep thing on me and made me pass out."

"A suggestion of sleep in your mind and nothing more."

Sarah said nothing as she took the things out of my hands and tossed them onto the nearest rack, tugging my hand back to the bed.

"And what are you going to wear to bed?" she said with a cheeky glint in her eyes.

"It's too cold for nothing. I fear I might frighten you off."

She laughed and pulled back the sheets, sliding under them and moving to the far side.

"Lucky for us, this man wears boxers."

"And not commando?"

"Definitely not." I grinned.

As I pulled the shirt away she kept her eyes pinned to me, lapping up the free show. I wandered to the lights and turned them off, narrowly avoiding the trip hazard rug on the way back. With my pants cast to the rack of clothes, I moved under the sheets and settled next to her.

"Now young lady, I expect you to keep your naughty hands to yourself."

She laughed and wrapped her arms around me, resting her head on my chest. In the darkness of the room, I engulfed her in my embrace and thought for a moment before closing my eyes. Sleeping beside someone, another thing that I had never done before. How fascinating and nice it was.

Nice. Was that an appropriate term? Maybe not. Romantic might be overdone. Maybe comforting and in an odd way, peaceful.