Queen of Hell: Chapter 14: Sarah

My body tightened the second that Allison screeched through the intercom. Why had she come back? Was once in a week not enough for her? I sat up and looked at Anton, wondering if there was ever a time when we would have quiet. All I wanted was to lay on the bed with him.

Anton's phone rang, he sat up and looked at the screen.

"That's my assistant. I should take it to make sure everything is okay."

"What about the harpy that's making a lot of noise outside?"

Anton kissed my temple with a smile.

"Do as you please my love, she is your sister."

He wandered into the bathroom and sat on the edge of the tub. The conversation he was having had become a distant white noise as my sister continued to call out to me through the intercom.

"What do you want Allison?"

"I came to give you an invitation."

"Fine, leave it in the letterbox. Or the trash, I won't be coming anyway."

She scoffed her indignation.

"But don't you want to see me get married? I would come to yours except I doubt that your so called boyfriend will marry you."

"Interesting that you said that Allison because we married this morning. You're interrupting our time together so go away."

Between her and Michael I was about done with having this apartment building. At least in hell, Allison will never be able to turn up on my doorstep.

"I find that hard to believe, why didn't you say something? Why didn't you invite me?"

Could she be any more stupid? Why? Well, it was because I didn't want her at the wedding. It didn't matter that it was all about the timing if I had planned it months ago, I still wouldn't have invited her.

"Because we didn't want you and your acidic mouth there," Anton said as he pressed the button.

More indignation, this time her voice was sputtering.

Anton looked at me, offering a shrug and walking away. A knock echoed on the door, warily I opened it and saw Mister Ford leaning on his walking stick.

"Good afternoon Sarah, do you know the lass on the street that is bellowing your name?"

"That's my sister; we don't get along. If she's upsetting you, I'll call the cops if you like."

He frowned at me, tilting his head to one side.

"Why would you bother them with this? Tell her to leave if you do not want her here."

"I've tried." I sighed wearily.

His eyes brightened as he looked up with a smile.

"Hello, Frank Ford. I live in the apartment opposite."

"Anton Dremain. I live here."

He frowned for a moment and then nodded.

Allison continued to drown our moment in a cacophony of her anger. With a deep and annoyed grumble, I pressed the button to let her in. The door swung open as she glared at us.

"Sad that it takes a complaining neighbor for you to let me in finally."

"Oh you are mistaken lass, I wasn't complaining. I was merely checking to see if Sarah knew you. Otherwise, I would have called the police on you."

Allison ignored him and walked over, narrowing her eyes at the poor man.

"Are you being kicked out too old man?"

Mister Ford smiled at Allison, one that was a little curious.

"I wouldn't say being kicked out. I would say retiring to greener pastures, much greener."

He turned back to us with a mighty smile.

"Glad to finally meet you, Anton, I must say you are a tough negotiator. I hope you and your new wife enjoy this place as much as my wife and I have over the years."

Frank Ford then turned and hobbled away, encasing himself into his apartment. I did not realize he was the owner of the entire building, but his comments about greener pastures made a lot of sense now. He had a field lined with hundred dollar bills.

Then there was the other little thing that he had done. Clearly, he had heard what Allison had said about me having a husband. Was that it? Had he heard me say that we had married this morning? My soft voice and a man that I knew had hearing issues; I wasn't so sure about what he had heard. But if anything I could be happy. He always addressed me as Sarah, and in that one little statement, he referred to me as the new wife. No, I wasn't happy, I was quietly elated.

"You bought this place?" Allison sneered as she asked the question, interrupting my thoughts. "What are you selling drugs or something? I doubt that little dive across the road is making any money."

"Do you ever say anything nice Allison?" Anton asked quietly. "All you ever do is sprout ugly words. Maybe if you stopped for a moment and took the time to look around you'd see the successful business woman in front of you, the thriving business just a few steps from here. But you can't, can you? You can't see beyond your hate. There is no room for your offensive words in this place or our lives. Either alter your attitude or walk away and never come back."

Anton took my hand that had been resting on the door frame, kissing it softly on the fingers. His eyes flickered with a wave of red and a lot of naughtiness. Coldness wrapped around my fingers, slowly warming against my skin.

When he walked away, I saw what the cold was, several gold rings that glinted with the large stones. I restrained the shock, knowing that Anton was trying to outplay Allison in the show of wealth. Moving my arm, I heard the jangle of bracelets. I wondered how much more jewelry he was going to layer on me. No doubt there would be a necklace underneath the high neckline of this shirt.

"I'd suggest lunch, but I don't think I could handle your taste in food. Mickey D's isn't my thing if you know what I mean." Allison said snidely.

"Nor mine. You can leave now because I believe we are finished."

"Fine. Go to hell Sarah."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. I laughed so hard that I had to shut the door and continue to laugh without the scowl from Allison. Anton looked at me peculiarly, maybe wondering if his wife had finally gone crazy.

Not crazy. Just ecstatically happy.