Queen of Hell: Chapter 23: Anton

Sarah gazed out the window as we sat in the conservatory for lunch. The view was of the mountain range, this side of it was trees, the other was a molten lake of lava. Occasionally a burst of the lava would rise into the air, Sarah seemed entranced by it.

"Would you like to see the lake?"

The dragon flew past the window, screeching its complaint.

"Gee, I think I might pass."

"Don't worry about the overgrown lizard Sarah; he's just a bag of hot air."

And fire. Okay so maybe worrying about the dragon was appropriate. Not sure on why I was contemplating getting a second one. Oh, that's right, getting a bit of affection might tame the savage beast.

Sarah pushed the salad around on her plate, seemingly disinterested in the meal. Her mind was elsewhere, and as much as I wanted her to eat for the sake of our child, I knew it wasn't wise to pester her at the moment.

"So what now?"

Her voice was heavy with resignation. I hated the thought that she would be trapped here. All her dreams of helping the less fortunate were slipping out of her grasp, and yet again I am the reason.

"Once we are settled and ready, I will call my demons home. I need to consider a few things first, so there is a little time."

"But they were calling us to war Anton, how can you believe that?"

"Because there is a way that they do these things. Nothing moves at a great pace Sarah; we are not like humans who need their quick fix. They called for battle, but it may be as early as a month before the second approach, then again it may be as late as a year."

A cherry tomato popped into that delicate mouth, one that I yearned to kiss again. As always she would be willing, but I wondered if her mood had soured enough to wish me away. Such a thought could crush the devil himself was terrible, but it was true. She'd break my heart if she turned me away.

One of the servants lingered at the door, a note in his hand. I gestured for him to approach. The narrow frame bustled over, looking rather meek as he crossed the room. I was yet to warm to the new staff. Gone were the pretty little things that flittered around the place. Now I had mostly men, a few women but all of them had an alteration, one that would ensure they never looked at us with intention. I did not want Sarah to fret nor to see unwanted advances. And I did not want to see it either. So being a man that could do such things, I did.

"My lord, word from a demon named Igor Rurikovic."

"Thank you," I said as I took the parchment.

I unfurled the scroll and read that Igor was still at the apartment, the windows were repaired, and he was waiting for the cops to leave. They were still hanging around and did their investigations. The detective had pressed the buzzer at the main door, when he got no response he left his business card in the mailbox. Igor also mentioned that he had spoken with Peaco who was still monitoring Allison who looked like she was about to move and that Peaco will deliver a report within the hour.

"What does it say?"

"Cops are still hanging around. Your sister is still hanging around."

I wanted to huff; I wanted to get angry, I wanted to strangle something. Maybe the demon who was waiting for his next instruction might just be that something. But I set aside the anger and the need for a temper tantrum and calmed down.

Rubbing my forehead to try and stop the rising tension headache, I looked over at Sarah who offered a sympathetic smile.

"Anton, just sell them. It's okay. I'd rather be here and safe then in New York and fearing for our lives."

I nodded, grasping her hand. I could be thankful that I had been given such a wonderful wife. She was giving away her dreams, her future and it was all for me.

"I will make it up to you; I swear I will."

"It's okay Anton, this is our world, and we will be happy here. And we're going to make them suffer, aren't we?"

"Yes my love, we are."

Because you deserve your revenge.

I turned to the demon who was looking away rather awkwardly.

"Have the sleeping quarters been prepared? Because I saw the effort in the sitting room and I can assure you that I am not impressed."

"My apologies my lord, we were of the impression that you would be taking the south wing that overlooked the field of trees, so we readied the living quarters there. The staff have prepared the sleeping and living quarters in this wing."

The dragon flew past the window again; his constant growling was becoming an annoyance.

"Would you find out what his problem is, having him circle the castle constantly is driving me crazy."

"Yes my lord, I will go and see the animal keeper straight away."

With a flick of my hand, the demon was scurrying away. I sighed and slid down in my chair a fraction, rubbing my forehead again. Sarah chuckled and rubbed my leg.

"Find your calm place, Anton."

"My love, there is only one place that I find soothing, and that is in your arms."

"Then let me help you." She offered with a cheeky tone.

She settled onto my lap, wrapping her arms around me.

"You are too light Sarah," I whispered over her lips.

I know I'd said I wasn't going to say anything, but I hadn't realized how bad it was. Casting my mind back, I knew she ate well and frequently, and the only conclusion I could find was it must have had something to do with the transformation.

"I'm sure that will change soon enough."

"Are you hungry?"

"Not for food."

Sarah grinned broadly as she stood, taking my hands with her.

"Time to give me the grand tour of our new home."