Shadow of Death: Chapter 18: Sarah

I had to say, Anton's place to view the lowering sun was incredible. The view was amazing, that is if I didn't turn around. Behind us was one rather large lake of lava, filled with the damned. Their writhing agony could be heard rather loudly and clearly and was a little off putting.

"The view is lovely Anton; the soundtrack is not."

He grinned, waggling his fingers in the direction of the lake and all sounds of the damned dropped immediately. I could still hear the spurts of the fire as it arced up off the surface but that was okay I suppose.

We were settled on a ledge on the side of a small mountain that was more like a giant crater filled with boiling lava. On the other side of this odd little mountain was the castle. We couldn't see the lava from the castle, the side of the mountain was higher on that side.

The sun was setting to our side, the view of it could have been seen from the castle, but Anton liked this spot. Below us was a valley of green trees, they were so different compared to the black ones that seemed to stretch for miles. They were thick and lush, the branches filled with the greenest leaves.

Cerberus was at our feet, edging his way onto the rug. He started with is large paws, whining when scolded by Anton.

"He only wants to be close to Brannon."

"No further." Anton chided the dog.

His head plopped to the rug, casually sniffing Brannon who was playing with his feet.

"Don't you lick him," Anton grumbled.

Cerberus whined again, looking up at him with two big sad brown eyes.

"Here, have a sausage."

Anton threw several of them onto the ground, instantly Cerberus was scoffing them down.

"When shall we marry?"

I looked up from my plate to a man that seemed rather eager.

"Soon I suppose."

He nodded, moving food around on his plate rather than eating.

"I asked Igor."

That got his attention, perked up and listening.

"I think he was about to cry. Nearly crushed me with the hug, as a bonus I don't need to have my back cracked for a while."

Anton laughed and then returned to his downcast view of his plate.

"I suppose you'll be opening the gates again, right? I'll need to get a dress."

"I will, and as for a dress you could just want for it, then it will be waiting for you, perfect fit and no waiting."

"Anton, I'd like to go to get a dress the old fashioned way thanks."

He opened his mouth to say something but stopped, nodded and said nothing.

"What's wrong?"

"Do you think that they will want to work for me?"

Wow. For as long as I have known Anton, I always saw him as so strong. Not just physically but emotionally as well. Even as Brannon was born and then when we faced off against Michael, my supposed death looming, Anton still held it together reasonably well. Yet to look at him now, I saw someone so fragile.

But then reality hit me like a wrecking ball. I saw things clearly and realized how hard his life really was. Like me he'd been shunned by those that should have loved him, his siblings treated him as if he wasn't worth their time. Then there was the other side of his life.

There were lots of people around him. Demons, vampires, deities or whatever being it was, it didn't matter what they were in the flesh, it mattered what they were in the mind. They were nothing but beings that floated past him without a passing glance. Who stopped for him?

Demons were loyal, but that was expected, they would converse with him, but they were too scared to speak to him in a way that might seem disrespectful. Igor was one that spoke a little more friendly to him, but I wondered if that was because of me. Then there was Nick; I'd seen him in a relaxed state at the party before he married Rowan. There he was allowed to be the friend and not the servant and there he was a man that talked to Anton, who joked and was at ease with his company. So at ease that he might have hugged Anton. We don't speak of it, mostly because Nick was drunk and Anton believed it was the alcohol that did it. I didn't believe it; I believed that Nick did it because he truly thought of Anton as someone worthy of his time and affection.

I clutched Anton's hand with a smile, hoping not to cry. Blaming the hormones was easy, but it was best not to go there at all.

"I'm sure he would, they both would. Make it worth their while; you've set it up so the babies can come with them. We discussed this, didn't we? We said that we'd see them again."

He nodded quietly, and I knew that the battle was still raging in his mind.

"When you told them that you were freeing them, what did they say, how did they react?"

"They were confused; they couldn't understand."

"Maybe even upset?"

He shrugged, favoring the trees with his sadness.

"Anton," I said as I made him look at me. "It's okay; we can have a day out tomorrow. Go and see them and then stop in at the shop to ensure Michael is doing what he is supposed to. Maybe I might even find a dress."

"I don't want to see it."

"Okay."

Cerberus sat on the other side of Anton and whined rather loudly.

"Yes, you can come too."

He understood I was certain of it. The sadness was instantly replaced with a happy, panting pooch.

The land darkened as the sun set into its permanent position for the night, Anton began to pack everything up.

"You know, I feel like a relaxing soak in the tub. Are you going to join me?"

"Uh, not exactly the best of times Anton."

He looked at me as if he didn't care.

"Okay." I sighed. "You're going to do some finger waggling at me, aren't you?"

Anton nodded with a cheesy grin.

"Why don't you waggle my healing to go faster?"

"Because you need to do it properly Sarah."

I pouted at him, giving him my best Cerberus inspired sad eyes.

"I know my love, I miss you too, but the wait will make it great."

"Yeah, I might explode too."

He chuckled, wrapping his arm around my neck to pull me in for a kiss.