viii.

STYLE ── eight

"𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈'𝐦 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝"— fallingforyou, the 1975

— fallingforyou, the 1975

Juliette was bored of herself. Completely, utterly bored to the point of acting like a depressed woman laying on her couch and watching Netflix before getting up to order dinner. NYC wasn't fun at all when you didn't have friends to hang out with and unfortunately all of hers were either in LA or Europe.

And she had to say she missed them dearly. As much fun as she had going to Milan and being a model for a couple of days, meeting celebrities and clubbing turned out boring after a couple of days since she didn't really have anyone of her full trust. She couldn't help but check every couple of hours for new updates about what was going on in Azerbaijan, wanting to be there and talk to her friends badly.

F1 was her life, after all. She might not be a driver or a team manager or engineer, but it was hard to turn herself off after spending most of her year traveling around with them and accompanying their every race. The feeling of missing out sucked more than Juliette could've imagined.

So the two free weeks until the Canada Grand Prix didn't help at all as she flew to NYC all by herself, since she didn't feel like visiting her parents in England's countryside and her friends had all gone home for the short break so she didn't want to interrupt their family meetings. She often texts her friends but it wasn't enough to occupy all the free time in a hot and claustrophobic New York apartment.

Yet, when she asked for a distraction, it never, ever would've occurred to her finding a F1 driver standing by her door completely out of the blue. Especially after weeks of not talking.

Juliette wondered if the wine she had last night was rotten because it felt too much like a hallucination to find Carlos Sainz standing right in front of her with only a backpack on his back, his hair full of gel pulled back, a bouquet of peonies in his hand and an apologetic smile on his face.

"Carlos? What the—" Juliette looked around the corridor, wondering how long would it take for someone to jump from behind a wall and announce the prank.

"Hello." That was all he said, brushing his empty hand nervously on the waist of his jeans.

"Come on in." She softened her tone although the frown never left her face. This was too much weirdness for one day. "What's going on? Shouldn't you be in Canada already?"

"Just left from there actually." Carlos revealed, acting way too mysterious and, if Juliette didn't know him, she'd thought he had killed someone.