xxxii.

STYLE ── thirty-two

"𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐈'𝐦 𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬' 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬"— mine, taylor swift

— mine, taylor swift

There were things that were out of understanding for Juliette. Like where the Universe ended or why Carlos insisted so bad on getting to know her parents despite Juliette telling him he actually didn't want that.

At some level, she did understand that, just like she loved meeting with Carlos' family because it revealed a new side of him to love, Carlos wanted to understand hers— where she came from, who raised her to be the person he loved. But she couldn't help but wishing he'd just stay quiet for once when it came to her parents.

Still, as things got more and more serious between them, she knew this moment would come one way or another. She figured the least her parents deserved was to know at least once who her daughter's future husband was— despite them lacking any interest towards it.

When the date they set with her parents finally came, Carlos was a bubble of excitement to fly to England and get more four hours on the road just to meet the people that raised Juliette. It was only fair that, considering the amazing, warm and loving person that she was, her parents must be at least a bit like that.

They weren't.

No matter how closed off people Carlos was expecting to meet, they couldn't compare to Juliette's parents, who were a literal personification of rude people. It was obvious that even his own daughter was awkward to be there, eventually making Carlos intimidated by the way they didn't even bother to smile or hug him.

Maybe it was the Spanish side of him that was talking loud, already used to warm receptions and hugging like you already knew the other person for ages, but Juliette had warned him it'd be like that— it was just who her parents were.

They weren't rude, though. They made a point of small talking as much as they were able to about his job, the weather in Spain and their summer together. But it felt more like they were acting like robots, like they've already gotten tired of living and were simply existing now.

Carlos tried to shut the horrible thoughts about her parents but it was hard, and almost enraging, when they asked the most simple questions about their daughter's life, like they haven't even bothered to give a call in two months.

There was obviously lacking something called love in their house and their lives. And suddenly, the realization struck Carlos' mind as they sat on the couch that afternoon to watch TV. If he was losing his mind to be there for a day, imagine your entire life.

Seeing parents who didn't love each other or wouldn't even make a point of getting to know their own kid, only focusing on the practical side of life and forgetting what made life worth in the first place. It was no surprised she turned out to run away from her own feelings, even when they were something positive.

By the time dinner was done, Carlos felt like putting Juliette in his arms and running upstairs to kiss her until she couldn't breathe and tell her everything he meant to say when he thought about the childhood she had in that house. That he'd always take care of her, that he'd never made her feel unwanted or a burden, that he'd love her no matter what because this was what love was all about, after all.

Instead, he forced himself to sit in the living room with her father to watch him smoke and watch the news, while exchanging short glances with Juliette every now and then as she helped her mother clean up and they chatted quietly.

When her parents finally went to sleep, Carlos quietly sneaked inside her bedroom so he could wish her good night before going to the room he was assigned to because her parents didn't agree with sleeping together before marriage in their house. He only meant to wish her good night since it was late but eventually got caught up to seeing her childhood room and ended laying next to her in her bed.

"A penny for a thought." She said as she turned and noticed how quiet Carlos actually was, a soft smile playing on her lips as she ran a hand through his unmade beard and admired his details, noticing how tense he was as well.

"I just can't imagine how growing up here might've been." He shared mindlessly, soon regretting what he had said. "Sorry, they're still your parents."

"It's okay." Juliette shrugged. "I would've been shocked too if I came from an amazing family like yours to this."

"My family isn't perfect, Juliette." Carlos chuckled slightly.

"I know, but they... I mean, it's obvious that, no matter what happens, you guys love each other and will get over it." She pointed out. "I grew up believing that my parents' divorce was only a matter of time. But, then, if I get the maximum grade, maybe they'll be happy and stay together. Or if I clean up the entire house— do you get it?"

"Yeah, and I'm sorry that you had to go through this, but making them happy isn't your responsibility and any parent in the right mind would be so proud to have you as their daughter." Carlos assured her with his eyes looking deep into hers to make sure she understood his words.

"But you know what the worst part is?" She whispered quietly after, swallowing hard so she could keep her tears to herself. "I know they weren't always like this. I mean, they have to have loved each other at some point, right? But I guess they just left the bad things get in the way and love just turned into... indifference, I guess."

They stayed in silence as Carlos absorbed all the details that Juliette let show in her face before taking a deep breath and reaching out to touch her soft cheek and wipe a tear.

"You want me to tell you I'm not leaving, Juliette? Because I'm not. You're forever attached to my soul."

He watched as she looked up with a different kind of gleam in her eyes and, among her watery black pupils, a glimpse of hope started to burn. Her heart hammering against her chest as she shrunk her body to fit right inside his and Carlos automatically passed his arms around her back.

"We'll never be like them, right?" She asked quietly with her voice muffled against his shirt.

"No, mi amor." Carlos reached out to kiss the top of her head and caress her hair until she fell asleep. "I'm here for good." And so he did until she finally fell asleep in his arms and Carlos carefully let her go, as much as his heart pained, so he could walk out of the room.

When he finally reached the door, Carlos stopped and watched a sleeping Juliette breathe deeply in and out as a soft smile settled on his lips and something inside of him just knew they'd be okay.