xxiii.

STYLE ── twenty-three

"𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞, 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐧, 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐨𝐲𝐬 𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐚 𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐧"— "slut!", taylor swift

— "slut!", taylor swift

The morning after Carlos' arrival in the mountains, Juliette's head was a mess. It was weird to see him this close again, to talk to him and how drawn she felt to telling him everything. But then she had to remind herself that she was only doing it out of guilty and it wouldn't change anything between them.

It was hard to separate what she actually felt and the memories of the happy moments they spent together. Juliette thought she had moved on, she was with someone else after months and living her life, but seeing Carlos again changed everything.

Yet, when she went downstairs for breakfast that morning, it was like remembering why they never worked out in the first place. Because when Juliette looked around to find the table Charles was sat at by himself, she just knew that something was wrong.

"He's gone." Charles shrugged in disappointment, making Juliette's face fall in confusion.

Juliette might be a liar— to herself and others— but Carlos was a coward and didn't even try to change it. But the worst part of it was that he tried to make it her feel guilty about it, when he talked about her to their mutual friends, or gave that puppy look. He didn't even consider that letting Charles down would make her miserable too.

Honestly, fuck him.

And fuck him for making her feel even worse when she found out he had left homemade food for her once again like he already knew what she was going through.

"I can't believe he wouldn't tell me he was leaving." Charles sighed frustratedly as they walked back to their hotel room to get ready to go out, even though the mood had been totally killed.

"It's messed up." Juliette agreed after Charles had showed her the text he'd sent warning that he'd left early because he had "some stuff to figure out back home", even though she knew it totally sounded like Carlos.

"I didn't know how having him around would make me feel."

"What do you mean?" She frowned slightly, raising her head as she sat on the bed to look over the man pacing the floor.

"I mean that... it made me angry. To see him treat you like that after what you've been through and how he devalues you. But it also made me jealous. That you liked him better than me."