Chapter 101: June Jackson

Welcome to the third book of the Only Human series! The chapter count will continue from the second book, because it just makes every easier. If you are new here, please read the previous two books Only Human: Monsters and Men and Only Human: Angels and Demons before reading this one. You can find them in my profile. If you have been a reader of mine since the start, then welcome to the third book! Thank you so much for your support and riding this story out with me! I hope you enjoy and don't forget to vote or comment! It really makes a difference.

-Lucinda Croft

            The sound of birdsong and the rustling of leaves stirred me awake. I felt warm, and I only wanted to snuggle deeper into the spongey and fuzzy surface I was laying on. The light of the morning sun kept me from slipping back into peaceful oblivion. I took a deep breath and found the air crisp and cool. The smell of morning dew and foliage was comforting at first, but I soon recognized that the scent was not one I was accustomed to waking up to. I reluctantly opened my eyes to find red moss, fallen leaves, and dirt before me. Trees and specks of a rosy sky were visible after that. No walls, no ceiling, and no carpet.

I sat up and stretched trying to wake my lazy mind from slumber. I was sleeping on a bed of red moss, which meant Cenderion. I typically met with Cenderion outside, so that tracked. Suddenly memories of his whispers against my neck while he brought me to ecstasy shocked my brain to become fully aware. I blushed and buried my face in my hands. I had admitted to loving him. Not just to Cenderion, but to myself. The thought made me warm, but it terrified me. So much had happened yesterday. Destin admitting his long-hidden feelings, the shade attack, meeting a unicorn for the first time, and Hendrix revealing he had feelings for me; all of it happened within 24 hours. I just had to add declaring my love for Cenderion into the mix.

"Lily, what is the matter?" Cenderion's voice rang. I looked up to see Cenderion absent of his crown and cloak from yesterday, but still in his bark-like tunic. I looked down to see that the blanket I was clinging to was this very cloak, and that I was wearing dryadic clothes again. The dress was simplistic and blush in color. Made of the petal-like material it was knee-length with tattered and layered edges. The sleeves were trumpeted, but ended at my elbow, and the neckline a V. Compared to the mistress dress and the wedding dress that was forced on me, this was most likely considered a nightgown. This time I had willingly accepted the clothes.

I looked back to Cenderion nervously. "I just—It's nothing... Is it already morning?"

Cenderion frowned and walked up before sitting beside me. "It is, but you can't hide things from me. I feel that you are upset. Did I go too far yesterday? Was it too soon?"

My chest exploded in anxious sparks remembering what I had not only allowed to happen between us, but what I had wanted to happen as well. "No. Yes. I don't know." I groaned feeling waves of guilt and frustration.

Cenderion's arm draped around me and pulled my head to rest against his chest. My heart started to pound and everywhere he touched twitched with life. He chuckled, probably feeling how I was reacting to him. "Tell me." He said.

"I feel... dirty." I finally said.

"I could take you to the creek again, or did you want to use one of Hendrix's showers?"

I flinched at the mention of Hendrix and shook my head. "No, not physically dirty. Dirty as in loose, easy... slutty." My voice died in a whisper.

"That's a bad thing?" Cenderion said playfully.

I pulled away and looked up at him clenching his cloak for dear life. "Isn't it?! Lannister said that angels are polyamorous, but I was raised human. To have multiple partners is typically frowned upon. Doesn't the fact that I've slept with other men and that I may continue to do so upset you? Doesn't it make you think less of me? Are you really okay sharing me? Because to be honest the thought of sharing you with another woman upsets me!" I was such a damn hypocrite. I was entertaining the idea of having multiple partners, yet I couldn't bare the thought of Cenderion doing the same. Now that I admitted I loved him I was feeling possessive, and I was scared of losing him.