Chapter 146: June Jackson

Back to Original POV

Despite the mermaid attack, the performance in Tathens went off without a hitch. I healed just in time to attend rehearsal with no problems. Destin checked in with me more than normal though. He was consistently asking me how I was doing, staying close to me, and growling whenever someone else came close. His behavior was not going unnoticed. Quite a few betas gave us weird looks from time to time, and even when Destin wasn't around, I caught them staring more than once. No matter how many times I tried to reassure Destin or tell him to knock it off, he continued to act this way.

Destin wasn't the only one acting weird. Hendrix was notably giving me the silent treatment. He still stretched me out and informed me of simple things, but his words were consistently short. Our last real conversation was before my leap into the bay, and it had been cold stares and tight lips ever since. Apparently, Destin and him did not share Lannister's opinion. I found it frustrating, but I could understand their perspective as well. They were both strong influential men who cared for me. They didn't want to lose me, but I was a squishy human. My tendency to throw my safety out the window whenever someone needed me or was in trouble, was probably infuriating. But it was who I was. I didn't want to stop helping those in need or being the person who made the difference. So we were stuck. I could either apologize and promise to change my ways to keep them happy and make me miserable, or ignore their feelings and concerns to keep doing what I've always done. Neither option seemed fair, and it left me conflicted.

If only they could handle it like Cenderion. He scolded me once I was finally able to meet him, and he listed several other safer options I could have done in that instance. Calling for Lannister before I jumped in, looking for a nearby tree or plant that could lend me their roots for anchors, or even asking for a long rope to tie around my body before I dove in. We went back and forth on whether his options or mine were the best, but the fact was that I didn't think about those options in the first place. Which was true. I was so focused on that young boy in pain, in need, that I didn't think about my exit strategy or what I would encounter under the water. My lack of forethought led me face to face with two mermaids completely isolated from aid. It was by some miracle that I got away. Hoen was begrudgingly right about that.

After I apologized and admitted to my shortcomings, Cenderion acted as if the event never happened. The dryads and him continued conversing and listening to my impromptu concerts as always. It was refreshing to not have this guilt drawn out or feel shame whenever we met, because Destin and Hendrix left me feeling the exact opposite. Hendrix's was definitely intentional. He wanted me feeling bad for what I had done. Destin's was more of a side-effect of his sudden over-protective hovering. Even worse, we were now heading to Vespertil. A city of mostly vampires. I had already been warned multiple times that humans were treated very poorly there. I was bound to see or hear things that made me angry or uncomfortable. My previous walking on could nine, had become a trudge through swamp six.

I looked out the window as the tour bus screeched to a stop and shifted to park. We were staying at a little inn tonight. The place was only two stories and was decently spread out, but was smaller than the previous places we stayed at. I was seated at one of the dining tables with Destin across from me. The princesses were at the back. They had been told what happened, and were concerned at first. Now they were back to normal. I only wished my mate would go back to normal too.

"Are you okay? You don't look good." Destin said studying me.

I sighed. "I'm fine, Destin. For the millionth time, I'm fine. I healed up, and it's like nothing happened. Can you give me some space? Please?" I pleaded.