Chapter 147: Jason Hendrix

Just a heads up to my readers. I know I normally keep the book length to about 50 chapters, but this one will be a bit longer. This chapter may seem short, but it is the typical length. This is also the calm before the storm. ;) Thanks again to my readers! Please enjoy and don't forget to vote and comment.

-Lucinda Croft

Change of POV

Vespertil had nothing but bad memories for me. I watched the barely familiar buildings and sidewalks fly by the bus window. Most of these buildings were high end condos and apartments owned by wealthy vampires with pedigrees. The more downtown we got the fancier the buildings became until we broke into the shopping district. The concert was to take place here at the Vamprix Center. Well-dressed vampires strolled about, and would stop and excitedly point at the tour busses as we passed. In the past, I would have only noticed their designer clothes and accessories, but now I saw their humans.

Some were well-tended pets. They were dressed in designer clothes that matched their owners and were groomed well to show off their quality. Katherine's human, Eliza, would fit in perfectly with this crowd. Most humans, however, were dressed for the sex their owners were selling. Some with gags and on leashes. Some with signs on their person with phone numbers. These humans had a bleakness to them. Their eyes were hollow, and their smiles empty of emotion. I never cared before, but now it shook me. The idea of how close June was to a future like this. If someone else had bought her at that market, if I had sold her off before tasting her blood, if I had the cure earlier on in our acquaintance, she could be out there on the streets herself. Some part of me highly doubted she would have given up or accepted this fate without a fight, but another thought that June hadn't gone through what those girls must have.

And she never will.

I wondered how June was handling this on her tour bus. She had this complex about saving everyone, but there was only so much one woman could do. I smirked. Well now, she will have to think twice before doing anything reckless. I had no qualms with "punishing" her again. I may have to increase her punishment if she kept it up. The only risk was that she may come to like these corrections of mine, but that would be even better in my opinion.

My feelings for June had not changed, but my approach had. I realized that each of June's partners provided something unique for her. The dryad king provided stability, the damned wolf provided comfort, the unicorn provided support, and even the Minister of Darkness provided empowerment. So outside of my money, what could I offer her? Temperance. I challenged her, and she challenged me. She was so concerned about everyone and everything else. She hardly thought about her own needs or safety, but her safety and wellbeing was all I cared about. I was willing to fall out of her favor to do what was best for her, and I think deep down she appreciated it.

When we finally arrived at the hotel, we were able to get dropped off at the front with our bags before the vehicles drove to the parking garage. Destin's pack and the other tag-along werewolves were eager to get into the lobby. All of us in our tour bus waited for June and them to disembark from theirs. I watched as June carried her duffel bag down the steps. Destin kept trying to grab it from her, but she easily dodged him and reassured him that she had it. She was wearing dark wash jeans and a navy shirt with flower print dotting the fabric. It was a square neckline with loose sleeves. When she looked forward and our eyes met, she quickly looked away flustered. I smirked. What had happened between us was still fresh in her mind. Good.

When we were finally all together, June immediately went to Ulysses while pointedly ignoring me. "Hey Ulysses, I was wondering if you could work on my bracelet later." She asked cryptically.