Chapter 117: Lannister Fleet

Change of POV

I was moved by how my Amorita fretted over the food provided for dinner. It seemed to have slipped her mind that I had dietary restrictions, but to be honest I wasn't concerned. I was accustomed to not always being provided a meal, and I was prepared to go out and graze if I needed to, but it seemed to really upset June that she had forgotten.

"I'm so sorry L—Doctor." June said. The lie tinged her sweet words. I understood the need for it. Sometimes lies could serve as protection, but it never tasted better.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me, June. Well, I have salad and some steamed vegetables at least." Diane sighed giving June a disappointed shake of her head.

"Is it for health reasons, or political?" June's father, Harry, asked. He looked up his nose through his glasses. He was looking for a particular answer.

"Dad, really? It doesn't matter. It's his choice." June stressed. Her dad grumbled, but went back to his pork chops. Diane thankfully made me a new plate of salad without dressing and all the vegetables and fruit outside of the asparagus that was sauteed in butter.

I was pleasantly surprised by June's family. They were nothing like how humans were portrayed in herd school. Unicorns did not associate with humans. We kept our distance and only dealt with them when necessary. Every moment with one was considered a chore and we often collected whatever stories we could to complain about with other unicorns. I immediately came to terms that my Amorita would be an exception. She was my everything despite her species, but her family was pleasant. Her home had a warm charm to it that was a bit gritty, but nothing intolerable.

Her mother was a larger woman with smile lines all over her face and calloused hands of a hard worker. She was almost brutally honest and very comfortable in herself. My Amorita was spot on with how amicable I would find her. Her father was more prickly. He had a quick wit and discerning eye, however. Nothing like the clueless idiotic humans that were depicted in our foalish tales. June's younger sisters were as vibrant, excitable, and curious as any filly from back home. I was on guard initially, but quickly accepted them as the children they were. Rachel, in particular, had taken a great interest in me. She currently bounced in her booster that was placed next to my seat at her insistence.

It was my Amorita's brother that kept me from completely settling. He sat across from me, and kept a close eye on Hendrix and I. There was this hurt and festering anger that oozed from him. It was like a twitching fly stuck in a cup of maple syrup, and it made it hard to maintain my appetite. After some study, I didn't think he was angry with us. He just seemed angry. I didn't have the foggiest reason why. His sister was back unharmed, so all should be well. The rest of her family was just seeping with joy and relief.

The dinner was filled with small talk and content snacking, and towards the end little Rylee pointed her fork at me. "Did you dye your hair? Stephanie on my team dyed hers blue, but yours is so pretty."

"Rylee! What a rude way to ask. I'm sorry, Dr. Fleet. She's at that age." Diane quickly apologized.

I shook my head. "I understand, but no. My hair is not dyed. I was born with it."

"Are you an albino?" June's brother, AJ, asked intrigued. It was the first thing he had said all dinner.

Being the progenitor said to have given the world its animals, as well as acting as their protectors, albinism was no strange term. I just have never thought of unicorns as albinos. Our pale coats, silver manes, and luminescent white auras were iconic.

"What's an albino?" Rylee asked her brother.

"Some animals, including humans, can be born with a mutation that makes them paler than normal. An albino is known for platinum blonde hair, pale skin, and light-colored eyes." June explained softly when her brother didn't answer.

Only Human: Before and Afterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें