Chapter 116: Jason Hendrix

Happy New Year! The first chapter of the year! Woot! Writing and posting this story was actually a New Year's Resolution of mine for 2023. I wanted to write more and be consistent, and I'm glad to say that it was successful. After a year, I have written more than I have ever written before. You readers helped me stay motivated and pushed me to keep writing, and I thank you for that. For 2024, I plan to continue my resolution (and also focus on my health).

I'll apologize in advance, as this chapter may seem a bit dry. It has more insight into June's character and her backstory with a little self-reflection for Hendrix, but things will be picking up in both romance and humor next chapter. Sometimes you just need the chaff with the wheat. Please enjoy, and don't forget to vote and comment!

-Lucinda Croft

Change of POV

I leaned on the car as I watched the scene that was tearing my conscience to pieces. I had never thought about what it actually meant to purchase or obtain a wild human. I knew the girls cried and complained at first, but due to their eventual obedience and contentment in my care, I assumed it wasn't a big deal. They were only one human out of seven billion. I wasn't really hurting anything, and things kept turning while I got satisfied as a result. Besides I was a vampire. I had needs.

None of my excuses or reasons held any water while I witnessed the hurt and pain June's family must have gone through once she had gone missing. What pain June had gone through. I may not have been the one who kidnapped her, but I bought her. I kept her at my estate against her will. I ignored her pleas and disregarded her feelings. I had done that. This was only a reminder of why June was not so keen to accept my advances.

"They love her." Lannister said in awe.

"They're her family. Of course, they do." I snapped clenching my hands into tight fists. I studied who must have been June's mother. She was middle-aged and on the heavier side, but she had an hourglass shape like June. Her hair was the same light brown that it appeared all her children had, and it was tied up in a messy bun. Her eyes were a pale bluish green in contrast to June's honey eyes.

"No, I mean they really love her. I had always thought humans were incapable of true love. They had an idea of it, and they did their best to replicate it, but they were far too selfish to grasp it. But this. This is love, and it's beautiful." Lannister explained.

I glanced at Lannister. "So you thought June, you're supposed Amorita, would never truly love you?"

He shook his head. "I knew she would, but I thought it was the angel in her." The tall man who embraced the family was far too young to be June's father, so it must have been her brother. The two younger ones clinging onto June's legs and shirt were no doubt her sisters.

It appeared they all had managed to stop crying after what felt like ages. All the while I was hit by waves of guilt and pride. The guilt of keeping her away so long, and the pride of being the one who brought her back. June turned and motioned for us to come forward.

"This is Mr. Hendrix. He's how I was able to come back home, and this is Lannister. He's a good friend of mine." June introduced. Her family turned to face us, and it was a bit surreal. It was obvious they were her family. Not only did they have the same hair, but there were facial features that some shared and other features the others shared. Her brother's hair was like a mop on his head, and he had some facial hair coming in. His eyes were a reddish brown, and he had a guarded frown on his face. Her sisters were much more cheerful with giant smiles. The elder sister had a few teeth missing and her eyes were like her brother's. Her hair was straight and down to the middle of her back, and her knees were covered in scrapes. The youngest had slightly curly brown hair with dark brown eyes and long lashes. She was wearing a princess costume for her dress and had some food on her cheeks. Her face and body still had some baby fat, and I couldn't deny that she was adorable.