Chapter 43 - Preparing for war

" I'm fighting and that's that", Arena yelled as she, Hunter, Stephen, Rowan, Roger, Eliana, Ella, Jade, Zach, Cederic and Robert stood around the table in the planning room. Maps of the city and surrounding areas littered all over the round table.

" No you're not", shouted Hunter, Stephen, Cederic and Robert simultaneously.

Arena glared at the boys including her uncle who she had yet to spend time with. He had only just returned from the city. I guess he hasn't been to the city for a while, she thought as she stared into his bright emerald green eyes. It was intimidating, staring at someone who had the same shade of green eyes as her, she wasn't use to it.

She looked away as Stephen caught her attention. They were all getting ready for the war or at least a hard battle that was looming ever closer like a storm cloud rolling over from the ocean.

Both the King and Philip Earlene were ordering troops be brought into the city immediately. After years of tension, the two families were putting their differences and their grudges behind them temporarily to deal with John. Arena shivered at his name. There was no way in hell she was missing this fight. She had a score to settle with that bastard, him and that back stabbing murderer Damon Brown.

She should have never trusted him, ever. She felt so stupid for not seeing through his facade, it seemed obvious now. Why would a strong and intelligent young man just appear where the centre of the gossip lived. Why was he not in the army or working in a shop or something, why a farm?

Of course, it wasn't fate, of course Arena had been singled out by John. Damon didn't seem that confident at first, of course he had joined John being the lost little boy he was. The fact that he was so called in love with her was pathetic. It was just some idiotic excuse to justify his actions, to justify kidnapping her and breaking her ability to trust.

She didn't think she could trust so easily ever again, she didn't want to get hurt.

" And why not, I have just much reason to fight in this battle as you all do, even more than some of you", growled Arena. " I was the one who was kidnapped, I'm the reason why my father is dead, I have a right to be in this war", Arena ranted, glaring at everyone who dared contradict her.

Robin flinched slightly as Arena mentioned Nicholas as her father. He's not dead, he's standing right in front of you, he screamed in his mind. Eliana caught his eye and gave him a warning look, it's not the right time, not with this stupid war.

Stephen had told everyone what was in the letter but Robin had already known about the war and John. His pocket felt like it was burning as he thought of the letter he had received the other day. He had still been teaching his men more army like techniques when he found the letter pinned to a tree with a black arrow attached to it.

He didn't know who put it there but he did know it was from John and it was meant for him. He didn't know how John knew where he and his men were until he read the letter.

Dear Robin,
How is the famous Robin Hood going. Still think that just stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is a stand against the system? Do you still think it is enough to show people how everything is so unfair?

You're probably wondering why I knew you would be near the castle, when you haven't set foot back there for at least eighteen years but knowing you and unfortunately I do, I knew you couldn't stay away.

When someone you care about is in danger, you would follow them and protect them with your last breath. I admire your loyalty Robin but that will be your downfall. I now understand why you were so distracted all those years ago, why you seemed agitated after leaving where the Earlene noble family was located.