Chapter 25 - Suspicious behavior

Stephen eyed Damon wearily as he sat watching Arena give Damon tips on archery. Arena seemed pleased that Damon was here but why was he here? What could possibly make Damon come here, where there was plenty of work outside the castle and exciting places to travel to. Stephen knew that Damon and Arena had become good friends but Damon was the reason why Arena had stormed off the day of the fire.

Arena had told him and Hunter a few nights ago when they had found her on her balcony. He had asked her what made her storm off that day. He remembered her staying silent for a long time before answering. When she had told them, Stephen was angry. He had always been wary of Damon but he had no right to do that to Arena. He was suppose to be a good friend but was he really?

Now he had shown up out of the blue, trying to find Arena after he found out about the fire. Tracking her down to the castle, getting in nearly under detected and asking for her forgiveness? Arena was so happy to see Damon again, probably feeling guilty about how she had reacted. She had accepted his apology and they had made up but something was off. He just didn't understand why Damon would show up now, why did he leave in the first place? Why did he storm off that horrible day?

Damon was a mystery and he wasn't the only one who distrusted the boy. Hunter and Zach both agreed that Damon was unusual. Why would he come after Arena so soon after they had had a big fight? Why would he come to the castle where he obviously disliked it and despised him and his friends. He had tolerated and played nice around him, Hunter and Zach when Arena was around but Stephen knew that Damon despised him and his friends.

Damon seemed to have a small hatred for himself and Hunter for some reason. On more than one occasion he had caught Damon glaring openly at him or Hunter, especially if they were around Arena. Arena was oblivious of the hostility between the boys but she was happy that everyone she loved was here.

Well nearly everyone, Stephen thought dully. He knew Arena missed her brother terribly and wondered where he was? Stephen had sent out a man to find Cederic with no such luck. He wanted Arena to be happy so he was determined to find Cederic. He scowled as Arena giggled at Damon's terrible aim. " No D, like this", smiled Arena and she demonstrated a perfect shot.

Stephen glared at Damon as he copied Arena. He sighed as Damon managed to make Arena laugh again. Even though Damon was strange and unpredictable, he was making Arena happy and helping her move on.

He hate to admit it but Damon was doing a better job helping Arena then he was. He would do anything for her but being able to help her move on was difficult. Even though Arena was here, his father made it nearly impossible to hang out with her and Hunter. His training was his first priority before his own happiness and his friends.

He sighed tiredly as he watched Damon preform a good shot. "Well done D, maybe soon you'll be able to beat me one day", smiled Arena. Damon rolled his eyes and glanced towards the wall. A wisp of smoke caught his attention snd he froze. That's Frederick, Damon thought as he caught sight of it. It was their signal, Frederick's way to talk to Damon.

Stephen watched Damon closely and his eyes narrowed as he saw Damon stiffen. "I don't think I'll be able to beat you A", smiled Damon turning back to Arena.

" Finally something that we agree on", smirked Arena. Damon smiled slightly at her comment and hugged her tightly. Stephen tensed at the sight and swiftly jumped up from where he was sitting.

" Hey Arena, do you want to go hang out in the library", said Stephen. Arena turned to smile at him, his heart thundering in his chest.

" Sorry Stephen, I thought you had royal duties again so Damon and I made plans to go out and have lunch together, maybe another time", smiled Arena sadly. Stephen clenched his fists together when Damon gave him a triumphant smirk slinging an arm around Arena's shoulder.