Chapter 9 - A life changing decision

At last everything was looking up. Her mother was right, it died down eventually, thanks to her brother and Roger. Things weren't completely back to normal but she was out of the spotlight. Robin Hood had taken the spot much to Arena's relief. He had been moving around alot, closer towards her home for some reason.

But who cares, she admired Robin Hood with his bravery and his motto but she didn't really care what happened to him. It's not like I'm related to him or anything, she thought and she laughed quietly to herself at the thought. Related to the famous Robin Hood, now that would be interesting.

She stopped gardening for a minute, pulling out the weeds that threatened the beans and carrots. She dwelled into her imagination, imagining being related to Robin Hood. The adventures! Having to find a new place to sleep every night, actually fighting while helping the poor. Swinging on vines and balancing on trees she thought, smiling.

She began to sing quietly as she continued to work on the weeds. A song she had heard travelers sing. When she first heard it, she thought it was such a boring song, she didn't bother to repeat it. The song grew on her though and she couldn't help but sing it sometimes.

This is an old song,

these are old blues.

This is not my tune,

but it’s mine to use.

And the seabirds

where the fear once grew

 will flock with a fury,

and they will bury what’d come for you

Down where I darn with the milk-eyed mender 

you and I, and a love so tender,

 is stretched-on the hoop where I stitch-this adage: 

"Bless this house and its heart so savage.

"And all that I want, and all that I need 

and all that I’ve got is scattered like seed.And all that I knew is moving away from me.

And all that I know is blowing like tumbleweed

And the mealy worms

 in the brine will burn 

in a salty pyre, 

among the fauns and ferns.

And the love we hold,

and the love we spurn,

will never grow cold 

only taciturn.

It was an old song, usually travelers from the sea sung it but it had become popular over the years. It was easy to sing and you could sing it fast or slow. Arena actually wished she would feel a love that would last a lifetime but who would put up with a girl who longed to fight. She continued to sing, her sweet musical voice carrying away on the wind. Singing calmed Arena down and took her mind off all the attention she had received. It had calmed down but her life wasn't back to normal , not by a long shot.

She sighed and resumed pulling out the annoying weeds. She wanted to practice with her bow again or go back to Roger's and her's secret pond and meadow. As soon as she knew no one was following her, she had hurried to her new secret spot in the woods. It was just as beautiful as the first time and it became her sanctuary. It was her escape from all the prying eyes that seemed to just casually wander pass when she was working or practicing.