Chapter 10

"Chris, you know we have math together. This is our class today for the first two hours instead of science" "Let me see" he said and held his hand behind the seat. I put my phone in his hand and he put his arm forward again. "Do you know where room 072 is?" If he asked me "no" I said "me neither" "that would have to be the east wing" said Nick. Chris held out my phone to me again. "Wait, if we all actually have science and that fails, what class do we have?" Said Matt "Wait" said Alahna, then she added "Philosophy, we have it in the room where science is actually" she said.

"We're 20 minutes late because of you Chris" Alahna snaps at him as we all ran through the school doors. "It's not my fault" he said "come on now" I said and pulled him behind me by his sleeve. "See you later" I called and looked back at Alahna, Nick and Matt. Matt giggled because I was dragging Chris behind me. We all ran in different directions because Chris and I had to go to the East Wing. "Where is room 072?" I said and looked at the numbers hanging on the doors. "I guess it's not in the east wing" said Chris. "This can't be true. Don't tell me it's in the West Wing" I said. "If it's not here, then it must be" said Chris. We jogged off, down the stairs and into the west wing. We looked at the numbers on the doors "here it is" I said to Chris. I knocked and when the teacher invited us in I opened the door "Chris and Megan, what is your excuse for being half an hour late?" Coach Jenkins said, looking puzzled at his watch. "Sorry coach, we got in a traffic jam and just this morning we saw that science was canceled and we thought 072 was in the east wing" I said. "Okay, I'll let that pass, but only because you Chris were the best player on Friday and you Megan because you're always polite and we had a nice conversation while you were waiting for your friend here" he said and pointed Chris. And then I noticed who was sitting in the room. Rachel, Tyler, Davon, Jacob. Oh god damn it. "Sit down" said coach Jenkins, we went to the last available seats "why is coach Jenkins our math teacher?" Chris whispered, walking behind me. "I don't know" I said and put my bag down next to the chair.

We sat down and coach Jenkins explained "since Megan and Chris were late, I'll explain what we did while you weren't there. Since I found out just like you did this morning that I was giving you math substitute lessons, I didn't have anything prepared. You two are lucky because the others are already done with their tasks and I said that we'll talk about the homecoming game afterwards, so let's do that now. But in return you get the tasks as homework" said Coach Jenkins.
Tyler and Rachel looked at us angrily, I couldn't even look at them. I just tried to avoid them.
"I'm very proud of my lacrosse team. You played damn well on Friday" said Coach Jenkins. I looked at Chris who was sitting to the left of me, well he was more like lying in the chair, I smiled at him and he looked up at me "what" he whispered and grinned "nothing" I answered more than quietly. "Pay attention to coach Jenkins, Megan" he said and nods ever so slightly in his direction. Why did that sound so incredibly attractive? I looked at him for a moment longer and then looked at coach Jenkins and out of the corner of my eye I saw Chris shaking his head with a grin. "Luckily I have my whole lacrosse team here, except for Matthew Sturniolo, but he probably already knows, but now I have to announce it to the rest of you too" said Coach Jenkins and looked at Chris with a smile. "What does he mean?" I whispered and turned to Chris. "Like I said, listen to him" he grinned. I looked around and sure enough the whole lacrosse team was there and everyone was sitting with Rachel and Tyler. Davon, Mason, Jacob, Ryan, Wyatt, Jax and Gavin all looked confused like Tyler. "I thought about it for a long time" said Coach Jenkins and looked at Tyler. "Tyler, you have always been a good player, but you are increasingly losing your good condition and that is why I am resigning you from the position of captain of the lacrosse team" everyone looked horrified and pitiful "what?? Who should lead the team? You can't do that, Coach" Tyler said loudly. "It's good that you asked Tyler, because I had a conversation with Chris on Friday after the game and I told him that if he accepts this position, he will be the new captain of the lacrosse team. Tyler said loudly "WHAT??" I turned to Chris "why didn't you tell me" I said with a huge smile on my face. "I wanted to wait until it was safe" he said, smiling. "I'm so happy for you Chris" I said and hugged him. I pulled away from the hug, tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, I looked at him and he looked at me, we smiled at each other as if we had forgotten that we were in class. "Tyler you have to understand that I have to be considerate of the team." Coach Jenkins said. Tyler leaned back in his chair and for the rest of class he just glared at me and Chris, and what about Rachel? she avoided us completely.

Chris and I were packing up our things when Coach came over. "Here are your tasks" he said and laid them out for us. Everyone left the classroom. Chris and I stood up and slung our backpacks over one shoulder. "I'm very pleased that you accept the position as captain" said Jenkins and shook Chris's hand. "I have to thank you for this opportunity" said Chris. I just stood there and smiled. "That's so cool that you're the captain of the team now" I said, walking out the door ahead of Chris, turning to look at him while he walked behind me. "Megan, we need to talk" a voice sounded next to me, I was so scared because I wasn't expecting Tyler and Rachel. I turned towards them, behind them I saw Alahna, Nick and Matt coming. "Chris, I'll be right back, are you heading to the library yet?" I said, he nodded and went to his brothers and Alahna. "What do you want to talk about?" I asked and looked at him waiting, but he and Rachel just looked at me reproachfully. "What's the matter?" I asked. Inside I was panicking, I had all the scenarios in my head, do they know about me and Chris kissing? Is it all over now?
"Are you serious, you're happy that he has my place now?" Tyler said angrily "no but-" I said and was interrupted "you're happy that I lost my position" he said "no Tyler, now just listen to me" I said "things change, you can't help it, you can't  be forever the captain of the team and everyone told you to stop smoking otherwise you would have to resign as captain. Chris takes your place and that's not a bad thing. He's not a bad player" I said. "You know Megan, that's one thing, but why do you always have to say good things about him?" Said Tyler "because he's not a bad person Tyler? And it's a fact that he's a good player" I said, "you know what I think, you're just mad because it's your fault that you had to leave the position and now you're jealous of him." I said and I shouldn't have said that. Rachel stood there the whole time and opened her mouth, her eyes wide and let out a small, quiet, ironic laugh. "You serious?" She said "what's your problem?" I asked "Megan, you're only with Alahna and these triplets, they see you more often than we do, so yes, as your boyfriend I'm jealous, but not because he has my place" Tyler said "I'm glad you went with Rachel after homecoming and did something with her on Saturday, otherwise you would've just hung out with these bastards" "Tyler, that's my sister and her friends and especially my friends" I said. Now Rachel noticed what Tyler said "wait, Megan wasn't with me after the game?" She said furrowing her eyebrows "what? Where have you been? You weren't with Chris? were you Megan??" Tyler asked, more angry than ever before. "yes, well no I wasn't, I was with the triplets with Alahna" I said, "Are you kidding me?!? I asked you the next morning where you were and you lied to me" he said, raising his angry voice.  "I'm sorry, I knew you would get mad" I said "You weren't even waiting for me, you were waiting for him, Jenkins said this morning" he said "but I was waiting for you, but when he was finished his brothers and my sister came, so we drove." I explained. "You're just lying to us Megan" Rachel said. "I'm your best friend and this is your boyfriend, or have you already forgotten about us?" She asked "no, I know we haven't seen each other much since school started, that's why I went to the cinema with you" I said. "I'm sorry" I said to both of them. "That's not enough Megan" Rachel said and left. "Tyler" I said desperately. "Megan I'm disappointed" "I know and you have every right to be. Please forgive me, I love you Tyler" I said and I felt bad, I don't get a good feeling in my whole body. Is it because I'm lying to him about the kiss? "Okay Megan, I forgive you, but only because you forgave me, but I have one condition" he said "I'll do everything" I said "spend more time with us, we are part of your life too" he said. "Thank you" I said smiling and hugged him. I looked into his face, into his eyes, but it felt so different, not like with Chris.
I kissed him anyway, hoping the spark would come back, but that felt different too. Not like Chris. I love Tyler, why is everything so complicated? Do I have to stay away from Chris? But I can't do that, what do I say to alahna and anyway, I don't want to do that, I wouldn't be able to do it.. for whatever reason. What did he do to me?

Note 💗
March 14, 2024